Newbie, needs advice on which bike and maybe USA Smart EBike?

cjd

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2013
Good afternoon everyone

I am new to electric bikes but have been riding bikes 30 plus years. Its my only means of transport as I have an eye condition meaning I cannot drive.

I am now looking for my first electric bike. I am a big chap, 6ft and 19 stone. I live in a hilly area and would like something that could do around 40 miles between daily charges.

Also I appreciate the legal speed limit, but an "off road" function would be great too. I need both pedal assist and also throttle on it owns.

I loved the look of the Smart e Bike but saw the American version was more powerful. Anyone have any ideas how to get one over here?

Also, if you have suggestions for bikes around £1k mark that would be most welcome.

Thanks again
CJD

D

Deleted member 4366

If you're handy with the spanners and a soldering iron, you can make your own for about £700. I don't think that there's any ready-made bikes that can do your range and have enough power to get you up the hills apart from Frank's new Xipi bikes. Welcome to Xipi. That Smartbike iis more of a city bike than one to drag people like us up hills, and even if you could get the higher power version, you wouldn't be able to go very far on it.

Maybe the A2B bikes as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Building your own has many advantages, as you can spec it to do exactly what you need, and possibly convert a bike you already own. You don't need to be all that spanner capable, especially if you go for front drive hub motor.
I reckon an 8fun front hub kit with a 20ah lithium battery would cover it, although I think 40 miles is pushing it a bit. Prob closer to 30.
Cost for a kit like that would be somewhere near £500 (delivered), then obviously you need a bike, and a free afternoon.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi CJD

I am in Banbury I don't know if it is far to visit US we are open 7 days a week and offer to pick you up from station although we are only 5 minuet walk away

Give me a call and we can discus your needs

The hills are NOT a problem we now have in stock a 48 volt 20 AH battery

Thanks Frank

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi cjd,

It doesnt sound to me like you want to build your own, my advice would be to try an Ezee bike or a Tonaro and see how you get on with them.

If the range isnt good enough for your countryside you can either carry a second battery or look for a

CycleCharge | Charge on the move

in your area.....or better still...recruit one.

Best advice is to try as many bikes as you can....hopefully you are in an area close to some stockists.

Lynda :)

D

Deleted member 4366

Building your own has many advantages, as you can spec it to do exactly what you need, and possibly convert a bike you already own. You don't need to be all that spanner capable, especially if you go for front drive hub motor.
I reckon an 8fun front hub kit with a 20ah lithium battery would cover it, although I think 40 miles is pushing it a bit. Prob closer to 30.
Cost for a kit like that would be somewhere near £500 (delivered), then obviously you need a bike, and a free afternoon.
Mike, that would be a good suggestion for many, but when you put 19 stone and hills together, you need a motor with a bit more grunt; however, a 250w Bafang SWX is better than no motor.

Nearly all the kits require a bit of engineering nouse to fit properly as well as a bit of spanner work, and often soldering skills as well.

For a 19 stone bloke to do 40 miles over hilly terrain, he'll need at least 20aH at 36v, assuming a minimal level of fitness.

The crank-drive bikes with Bosch motor and the Tonaros might have enough power to get a 19 stone bloke up steep hills, but I'd be surprised if they did much more than 20miles like that, so it could be achieved by carrying a spare battery - probably easier with a bosch.

If it weren't for the range required, The BH Emotion Neos and I guess the new Kudos bikes with BPM an CST motors are good climbers, followed by most of the other crank-drives.

How much will it cost?
DIY from about £700
Xipi bike - talk to Frank - £2000+?
Bosch with spare battery - £2000+
Kudos Tornado with spare battery - approx £1300
BH Emotion Neo with spare battery - £1600+

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
OR

an Ezee Torq Mk 3 with 37v 14ah £1345.....battery upgrade available

Tonaro Enduro £925......spare batteries cheaply available

Lynda :)

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
CJD...which part of the UK are you located....can you make it to the Redbridge event in April? I must say that hilly area,19stone and 40 mile range would be right at the limits of our Kudos Ibex bike.
Someone like Eddie may be able to recommend a strong Bosch bike with the new longer range battery.
Dave
Kudoscycles

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
....however, a 250w Bafang SWX is better than no motor.

Nearly all the kits require a bit of engineering nouse to fit properly as well as a bit of spanner work, and often soldering skills as well.

For a 19 stone bloke to do 40 miles over hilly terrain, he'll need at least 20aH at 36v, assuming a minimal level of fitness. ....
d8veh, sorry, I meant to say Bafang (being deliberately vague on power level). I would suggest a setup similar yours, but with front drive to make the installation easier.

But I get the feeling now that the OP is set on buying 'off the peg'.

C

Cyclezee

Hi CJD,

We can supply eZee bikes that would meet all your criteria except for price.

Upgrading the battery to 20Ah should take care of the range issue and there is also the option of adding a second battery. With our dual battery setup you could have 34Ah available.

A way round the cost issue could be to find a good used bike and upgrade it.

Regards,