Newbie with a few POWABYKES.

BOBGRAD

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 5, 2021
Hi I have accumulated over the years 4 POWABYKES 2 Euros and 2 Shoppers. All 36v brushed motor types. Recently both my shoppers showed duff PCB (using self testing tool) admittedly one was being used for spares/repair so I wasn't surprised. A bit difficult to get hold of so I opted for replacing the PCB with a Chinese one (YIYUN YK31C) and a matching throttle. I wired it up without connecting the power to the motor and the output is showing 39v to the motor as soon as ignition is switched on. The throttle does nothing. I checked the wiring to the throttle and it shows 5v in and 5v out without turning it. Can I assume that I have bought a duff controller? I don't have a useable bike now because I can't get my leg over the bars on the Euros and need a Shopper.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you're saying that the controller output is permanently on and approximately the same voltage as the battery, one or more output mosfets are blown in the controller, That's a commoned problem with brushed controllers when they get over-loaded.

BOBGRAD

Sep 5, 2021
Thanks vfr400. I don't understand the overloaded bit because I haven't even connected the motor output side except to a meter, but I suppose I have the option of returning it to the Ebay seller. I am not surprised, it was extremely cheap (£15 for both controller and throttle) but worth a try. I am not comfortable with electronics but most things electrical or mechanical I can usually get my head round. Cheers

BOBGRAD

Sep 5, 2021
I have found the problem. The problem was the wiring on the throttle which did not match the wiring on the controller. Not been too far, only a test ride but it works fine not bad for £15. Only time will tell.