Wheelie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 24, 2022
North Wales
Hi All.
I have been tinkering with bikes for many years and own about 6 different ones of all ages. Found this forum while researching e-bike conversion kits and it has already been of help. I have ordered a front hub drive kit to fit to a tandem to give my wife and I a bit of help on the hills where we live. Kit is arriving this very afternoon, so here begins my pedelec journey!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Good luck. What tandem and what kit?
Basic Viking tandem and XF07 (helpful, more powerful would be good) for us.

Wheelie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 24, 2022
North Wales
We have an old(90's) Dawes Galaxy Twin. I have ordered a Yose 36v250W front hub kit. It hasn't arrived yet so I can't say too much. We are looking to do most of our riding without the motor but it will hopefully gives us more flexibility with our routes when we don't have to worry about hills.
Is the XF07 a little underpowered? I have looked at them from Whoosh but in the end the Yose was quite a bit cheaper.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We used to have an old Galaxy Twin; our son has it now. The Viking is a bit heavier, but more rigid; the Galaxy seemed to have a little bit of flex in it.

Yes, the XF07 is lower power than we would like. Woosh warned us, but there wasn't anything else legal with 700c wheels available at the time (a bit over 4 years ago). All the Yose ones were 350w then. It still gives us enough assistance that we can manage the hills around here; Winchester, a bit hilly but not too bad.