News - DfT: Pedal cycles converted to ‘twist and go’ exempt from type approval

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
All I see is the DfT taking measures to honour their position rather than comply with what I feel is a dishonourable EU position.

If they go down the type approval route it still leaves the sigma of the disadvantaged and elderly being considered different to able bodied citizens.

Surely the point of having Fundamental Rights is to ensure equality.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
what are they (the VCA people) going to test for to TA an EAPC?
I don't think we've any way of knowing yet, but I assume mainly a check there is compliance with the exemption conditions, other than the throttle. Testing might just be confined to a check on the assist limit and the brake cut-outs. I imagine they might accept the EN15194 certification for everything else.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If they go down the type approval route it still leaves the sigma of the disadvantaged and elderly being considered different to able bodied citizens.

Surely the point of having Fundamental Rights is to ensure equality.
I just cannot see that this is true though, disability by its nature precludes equality, and that is all that is present in this issue.

We are speaking of electric assist pedal cycles, aka pedelecs. Both expressions have the clear implication that the ability to pedal is necessary, with assistance only for the pedalling. The 250 watt limit emphasises that, it being insufficient to travel everywhere on all roads without pedaling as well, even with a throttle.

Therefore there is no discrimination, EAPCs are fundamentally not suitable vehicles for the disabled who cannot pedal.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Fortunately for the disadvantaged the DfT takes a less pedantic view on the definition of an EAPC.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
agreed. I think the general consensus is that the end user can have a throttle without fear of commiting an offence, the manufacturers have to present their bikes to the VCA with EN15194 certificate and pay the fees. The only snag is that the VCA people are not ready. Until then, I guess it's still free for all.

Reactions: hoppy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All I see is the DfT taking measures to honour their position rather than comply with what I feel is a dishonourable EU position.

There's an easy way to solve the problem now, see the new thread I've posted on this link