Pedal vibration at speed

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Arghhh, another problem. Went out last night and when pedalling at speed 25-27mph (with speed dongles assistance) i felt some vibration through pedals. Tested today and really not sure if its just around this speed as when you accelerate to 28 mph plus it seems to disappear, but this could just be my other senses take over.

Today, i've stripped down drive chain and checked, tightened and lubed all i.e. chain, cassette, crank, motor bearings etc. Went out again and it still does it grrrrr. When i changed gear on rear cassette it disappeared then reappeared, making me think is it the cassette, but not conclusive. I know my chain needed changed so will do that tomorrow.

So far thinking, chang chain, change cassette. If all fails maybe change motor bearings, but as i said there's no play and they seem smooth, it's just when you hit this speed. Could be the wheels?

Any ideas i've missed?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i had that with every non haibike sprocket i tried as the chain line was just not right in some gears and felt like juddering coming from the motor/pedals.

the only other sprocket i have that works is the dual kit 18t/15t tho i have only used the bigger one as not had any need so far for using the 15t.

i also thought it was the motor bearings but solid as a rock.

i dont think that ses wheel helps to much as it eats the bearings on my bike and starts wobbling so check that also.

• Informative
Reactions: Steve A

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
i had that with every non haibike sprocket i tried as the chain line was just not right in some gears and felt like juddering coming from the motor/pedals.

the only other sprocket i have that works is the dual kit 18t/15t tho i have only used the bigger one as not had any need so far for using the 15t.

i also thought it was the motor bearings but solid as a rock.

i dont think that ses wheel helps to much as it eats the bearings on my bike and starts wobbling so check that also.
Mi mate, I'm using the Haibike sprocket, so thats ok. Bearings seem fine, no play and feel/sound fine. Agree about ses wheel, but stripped down and again no play, bearings sound good, teeth seem ok.

I've ordered new chain and cassette, as cassette is a year old and i've done about 3k this year. I'll update on progress.

Funny enough, after singing praises of full suss, i don't do anything extreme. Think next bike will be a hardtail, less weight, cleaning, price and things to go wrong. Will wait to see what new motors come out 2019.

Meant to ask have you had any issues with your motor at all, or had to change bearings yet.

Bloody bikes!!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
even tho i hammer the crap out of it not had any motor problems other than non haibike sprockets not working.

not much else you can do other than replace what you think is wrong but 3k sounds about right for a new drive chain.

just hope that fixes it for you ;)

• Agree

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Interested in your comment regarding full sus and your next bike going to be a hard tail.. when I bought my full sus I kept the H.T. for a while and really enjoyed the difference when riding it for a change as it felt quicker (Not faster), lighter and much easier to menouver around obstacles.. but riding the F.S. made me adopt a much more relaxed riding position so when back on the H.T. I jared my back quite badly by not preparing myself for a big bump in the track ahead.
Like you I don't do anything that really warrants a high spec full sus bike but my back likes bring able to relax more on the moderately rough trails I use.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Interested in your comment regarding full sus and your next bike going to be a hard tail.. when I bought my full sus I kept the H.T. for a while and really enjoyed the difference when riding it for a change as it felt quicker (Not faster), lighter and much easier to menouver around obstacles.. but riding the F.S. made me adopt a much more relaxed riding position so when back on the H.T. I jared my back quite badly by not preparing myself for a big bump in the track ahead.
Like you I don't do anything that really warrants a high spec full sus bike but my back likes bring able to relax more on the moderately rough trails I use.
Yeah, next bike maybe 2019 if tech has improved much, over existing 2016 bike. I will look at both full suss and h'tail, see how my back feels.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Nice looking bikes. I fancy a dual battery bike, but 1000w capacity and intergrated in frame. I'm holding back to see what motor improvements they make if any 2019, internal hub gears etc?.
The only differences between our bikes and the new 2018 is really just battery integration, not convinced worth the update. Sticking with Bosch until other motors more proven.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nice looking bikes. I fancy a dual battery bike, but 1000w capacity and intergrated in frame. I'm holding back to see what motor improvements they make if any 2019, internal hub gears etc?.
The only differences between our bikes and the new 2018 is really just battery integration, not convinced worth the update. Sticking with Bosch until other motors more proven.
My feelings exactly.. these bikes are in danger of becoming like phones .. need an upgrade every year to stay on top... better to wait at least 2 years ..

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
My feelings exactly.. these bikes are in danger of becoming like phones .. need an upgrade every year to stay on top... better to wait at least 2 years ..
Agree. Like iPhones, people just don't upgrade every year. I don't think battery tech will improv much, but hopefully motors and gearing will.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The Expensive Ultra Light Carbon road is not for me.. I want a bike thats reasonably comfy, easy to ride, looks good and doest make me feel like an old man on a bike!
I like the idea of keeping up with the latest tech but it seems to me that all thats going on right now is re-wrapping the same thing in a shinier package with slightly different suspension and battery arrangements.
Unfortunately the phone analogy ends here as I dont think my bike shop does early contract upgrades...

• Agree

Related Articles

Advertisers