Ping battery rebuild

Psycosis

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
Walton On Thames
Just posting this in here as i am not sure if its the correct place, Classifieds seemed a little premature.

My 20ah ping battery could ideally do with being split in half to give me 2 48v 10ah batteries, with the option to connect them together to give me range if required.
Does anyone live close enough to me and have the relevant skills to deconstruct the batteries and put them back together again?

My soldering on the BMS fat wires is a bit ropey when i had to do it before so someone with a bit more skill would be better.

I assume i can make 2 packs with what i have.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Yes you can split packs down to re wire them in any config. Not really for the faint hearted though. Why do you want to sPlit the pack down anyway.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Psycosis

you can split your battery you will need to buy another BMS ( battery management )

one for each pack

It would be easier to sell your battery and buy 2 new battery's from ping

To get range simply plug in one battery then swop the connection to the other battery when the first one runs out

Frank

Psycosis

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
Walton On Thames
Well i purchased a 20ah battery and it is overkill and 10ah will do just fine, it takes up too much space and makes the bike unstable and heavy.
So with two batteries i can leave one at home, but for a long trip i can take both with me and plug them in. I wouldn't mind actually having to swap them over, but i need two new BMS as my existing one won't be any good.

I would give it a bash but my soldering is a bit rubbish when connecting the large wires and i don't want to get heat spots.
Since i already have a battery it would cost a lot more to sell my battery and buy 2 new ones.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Failing that I'd buy the remaining 10ah pack @ 48v.
Thats probably the next battery size I'd buy anyway. I don't use any more than 3.5amp hours and recharge at each stop so a smaller pack for me is fine.

Psycosis

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
Walton On Thames
One time i was going along and the bag (which was ventelated) with the original ping BMS on, completely melted, my bag caught fire and i got stranded 15 miles away from my office. Hence my worry with the reconnection.

The BMS i have works just about but it is a bit charred as the soldering on the big fat wires always seem to come off as some heatspot builds up. This is my 3rd one, not sure if its power surges or what but they seem to burn out.

To avoid any further problems, someone else can fix them :D

My rear hub motor and other battery caught fire last friday so i am currently e-bike-less, not very lucky i think.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
You don't have much luck by the sounds of it. Maybe avoid any Lipo then ;-)

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
Hi Psycosis
the BMS you Have Is OK to reuses on the 10 AH pack

Frank
But be careful with the cell wiring, the BMS needs to know cell voltages to balance the cells properly, if you don't you could damage the pack more quickly.

Psycosis

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
Walton On Thames
On the bms, what does b- goto and what does p- goto.
I only have 2 black wires now so I am not sure which one goes directly to the battery and which one goes to the bike