Powabyke X24 Cutting Out

tony6403

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2009
I have been using my X24 for 18 months with no problem until yesterday.
I went on a 12 mile ride starting with a fully charged battery.
Going up the steep hill to get back to my house I used full power and the motor began cutting out and then re-engaging in a very jerky fashion but apparently with plenty of reserve when it did kick in for 3 or 4 seconds several times.
I have recharged the battery and now all seems well.
I have never run down the battery, as far as I know , to a point where it is exhausted . I had expected that a low battery would die off gradually. I had also expected that a 12 mile journey with lots of input from me would not use up the power in the battery.
Is this normal?

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
I have been using my X24 for 18 months with no problem until yesterday.
I went on a 12 mile ride starting with a fully charged battery.
Going up the steep hill to get back to my house I used full power and the motor began cutting out and then re-engaging in a very jerky fashion but apparently with plenty of reserve when it did kick in for 3 or 4 seconds several times.
I have recharged the battery and now all seems well.
I have never run down the battery, as far as I know , to a point where it is exhausted . I had expected that a low battery would die off gradually. I had also expected that a 12 mile journey with lots of input from me would not use up the power in the battery.
Is this normal?
Yes, it's how mine behaves with the low capacity battery that comes with the bike. Because it's low capacity it gets eaten into when hill climbing.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, this is normal, it's a very small battery on these models.

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
This is normal, the stuttering is caused by the controller cutting off the motor to protect the battery.

The trick to get an x-byke up a steep hill when the battery is low is to change down to a low gear and pedal hard to keep the bike going at over 10mph. You probably put in as much effort as if you were pedaling unassisted but for a much shorter time because you go a lot faster.

Patrick

tony6403

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2009
Thank you very much for the helpful replies.
It is a relief to learn that I will not have to return the bike for repair.
It still might cost though as in anticipation of the worst , I contacted The Bike Shop in Derby about buying a replacement and was told about new bikes due in from Trek ( I think that's the name? ) and Giant. The latter , at a cost of approx £1,350 , is now on my list of "must haves".

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Frank, you're a genius :D, those look like the same batteries (definitely the same mounting) as the Aurora comes with, but for a fraction of the price! Even a 15ah option for longer range!

tomarnold

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 23, 2011
So if I were to buy one of these 15ah batteries could I replace the 8ah battery on my Wisper 905e?