Pro Connect Disc Chain Crunching

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Hi
Took my new Pro connect disc on the commute today. Overall terrific. It is a little high geared so I will definetly be looking at changing the rear sprocket. Also I noticed that when in 8th gear sometimes when I slowed down to within the assistance zone that it the chain seemed to crunch on the motor. I dont know if I am being clear but I'm not sure of a better way to describe it. Has anyone any ideas?
Conn

C

Cyclezee

Hi Conn,

As it is a new bike, your forst port of call should be 50cycles who should be able to advise regarding the problem. However as it now the weekend, this link to Flecc's website could well have the solution to the problem repairsnew

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Do you experience sporadic banging noises as though something is slipping, or is it more of a gritty continuos crunching.

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
The latter more of a grinding, I bought mine in Ireland from Greenaer, if possible I was hoping to resolve myself as the time to take the bike to them and then wait...

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Hi
Took my new Pro connect disc on the commute today. Overall terrific. It is a little high geared so I will definetly be looking at changing the rear sprocket. Also I noticed that when in 8th gear sometimes when I slowed down to within the assistance zone that it the chain seemed to crunch on the motor. I dont know if I am being clear but I'm not sure of a better way to describe it. Has anyone any ideas?
Conn
I have a 16T sprocket on mine and it is better.

I am also experiencing something in the pedal area but I can't explain it either. I know that it isn't as smooth as my 2008 PC. I have adjusted the gear cable to line up the marks when in 4th gear and that seemed to improve things a little.

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks
I will look into the lining up the marks in 4th perhaps that will help. Also walkerman where did you get the 16t sprocket? i think it presently has a 19t so the 18t sold on 50 cycles I don't think would to it

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks
I will look into the lining up the marks in 4th perhaps that will help. Also walkerman where did you get the 16t sprocket? i think it presently has a 19t so the 18t sold on 50 cycles I don't think would to it
Don't forget that when raising the gearing with a smaller rear sprocket, the range suffers. Changing to a 16 tooth could lose more than a third of the range since the motor will be working all the way to 20 mph, instead of only below 15 mph, and working harder at every stage, since the power phase down is left until much later.

One 16 tooth sprocket user has reported 18 miles range on the 10 Ah battery.

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
.Thanks flecc
I do realise there will be an effect on the range. I do however think the gearing does need to be adjusted, the bottom 3 gears I think for me aren't too much use at all (no hills THAT big), and I have the 18ah battery so perhaps this will ameliorate the range issue somewhat? What do you suggest as regards the change? And where can I get them? On the plus side my commute today, particularly this morning at 0630 was brilliant (later too many cars and lights etc so had to keep stopping:( ) and did my 22 km in 50 mins which is a personal best for me by a long way and was no where near as wrecked as my previous attempts so totally feasible to do it everyday.

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
clarification: I mean there are no hills that big that I will be cycling, clearly there ARE hills THAT big;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I understand, it's true of all these multi-gear models. It's an unfortunate byproduct of limiting to the legal 15 mph assist that the gear range is so biased low.

Personally I'd like to see a system where the assist didn't operate in the top two gears, but that would necessitate Panasonic and Shimano co-operating in a joint design.

You can get a new sprocket with any tooth number down to 16 from any cycle dealer, and some will have the know-how to fit it for you if necessary. As you have the 18 Ah battery you might as well go for the 16 tooth which will still leave a good range. You'll slash that journey time by even more then with the motor assisting to higher speeds.

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Cheers
Will go down the local bike shop and ask if they have a 16t rear sprocket, I'd rather do it myself though as have to learn to maintain it at some point

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks Scott
I noticed the yellow lines when in 4th don't line up exactly (do they need to be exact?) so I'll try to fix this and give it a go and see if this is related before calling out the big guns:D

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Anyone know how to adjust this btw?
Put the bike in 4th gear. There is an adjuster where the gear cable enters the selector on the handlebars. Rotate the adjuster until the lines are together.

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Well didnt have much time to go for a ride today, took it out for 20 mins and no problem. Will get up early and take it out for a good ride and see if can recreate then

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Took it out today up the biggest hill I could find. No recurrence of the problem and impressive getting up. Wouldnt have even attempted it before and wasnt hard at all. Past a woman on the way up who was giving it everything so i felt obliged to point out i had help on the way by as didnt want her to think she was being passed so easily as it may have been disheartening