Problem with Agattu/Pro Connect

des56daw

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 29, 2008
Hi
First post here but I have learnt a lot over the years as a lurker and yes it really is a combination of a pro connect frame/motor and agattu the rest.
I have a problem hoping someone can help if they have had a similar one.
Have not used the bike for a while and the last time I did it was heavy rain
came home washed it cleaned of the muck with a hose and put it the shed.
Now about a month later put the battery on the bike press the power button on the handlebars all the lights flash then go out, press again only lowest battery capacity flashes(but very dim) then goes out. Thought it might be the battery but charged them both up tested them put them on the bike same thing happened tested them again they seem ok. When I try to push the bike backwards the motor spocket locks the chain, but it will still works as normal when cycling without power.
Any ideas would be appreciated !

Cheers
Sid

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Hi
Now about a month later put the battery on the bike press the power button on the handlebars all the lights flash then go out, press again only lowest battery capacity flashes(but very dim) then goes out. Thought it might be the battery but charged them both up tested them put them on the bike same thing happened tested them again they seem ok. When I try to push the bike backwards the motor spocket locks the chain, but it will still works as normal when cycling without power.
Any ideas would be appreciated !

Cheers
Sid
I have experienced leds flash then go out as you describe above. The problem in my case was that I had not installed the battery! Perhaps the problem in your case is that one or more of the battery connectors are not making? You could check that connections of battery and bike are clean.

The chain locking is another problem. Does this happen if you turn the pedals backwards? Applying WD40 or similar may free mechanism, then apply some dry lube.

des56daw

Feb 29, 2008
Hi Dynamic
Will try cleaning the connectors to see if that does the trick.
It is the motor spocket itself that will not turn which makes me think the problem might be in the motor.

Cheers
Sid

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not being in use for a while may have resulted in the grease on the nylon gear wheel and spiral groove motor shaft hardening, causing the sprocket locking. The freewheel within the nylon gear operates when the bike is pedalled without power, but wheeling the bike backwards needs the gear wheel to turn the motor and the mechanical advantage then is poor.

Of course there could be a fault on the internal gears, but that would not cause the electrical problems you are suffering, so I favour it being something simple like the poor connection and lack of use. Here's the gearwheel and motor shaft I've mentioned:

C

Cyclezee

Hi Sid,

Welcome to the Forum. As Flecc wrote, it could be a poor connection and Tony's website is well worth a read on this subject. See here repairsnew

des56daw

Feb 29, 2008
Hi Flecc and John
I tried cleaning the battery bracket on the bike but still the same result, handlebar display flashes for about 1 second then goes out, does it normally go through some checks before the dislay stays lit after about 2-3 seconds.
Anyway just to eliminate the battery bracket I hooked up the bracket to a tester with the battery on the bike and rode it on the road and over a rough
bit of ground, it never missed a beat so I dont think the battery connection is the problem.

When it is switched on does the bike do a self check routine or could it be the
on/off switch any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Sid

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, it does do a self check with lights flashing which takes about two seconds. It's important not to press a pedal until the check is finished.

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
handlebar display flashes for about 1 second then goes out, does it normally go through some checks before the dislay stays lit after about 2-3 seconds.
I had that once - one of the pedals was caught on another bike at the time and Flecc explained that it was failing a check of the torque sensor. Could it be a fault in the torque sensor which is giving a false reading?

des56daw

Feb 29, 2008
Hi Alistair and Flecc
Put the bike on it's stand , switched on, still the same result.
Took the motor apart don't know if it was well sealed, seems to be a bit of dirt inside, though that may be normal for a motor a year old. Anyway nothing obvious electrically re-made the connectors a few times.
The only thing I found wrong, which may explain the stiffness in the sprocket when reversing the bike.
The bearing on the spirral shaft end of the motor arm seems to have failed.
Does the system check the motor when the power is switched on ?

Cheers
Sid

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A momentary seizure of the motor starting due to the bearing might be triggering the problem Sid, since it could upset the readout timing from the three Hall sensors on the small board alongside the motor.

It's unusual for that bearing to fail, the first I've ever heard of. It's usually the outside motor one that goes, I've know a few of those, though all on the previous Panasonic unit. Your's is the first bearing failure on the new unit that I've heard of. They are standard bearings of course, you should have no difficulty sourcing one.