problem with display panel

jameshome52

Just Joined
Apr 9, 2024
I have just taken delivery form Halfords with a pendelton e bike, all sorted with pedals etc and batery charged to 80% but i cannot get the control panel on the handlebars to work at all, any suggestions ?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Check the connecting plugs/sockets are all pushed home firmly, which im sure you have done..

Check the manual for first time running instructions, many halfords bikes employ direct communication with the battery and controller, this may require a full charge of the battery, for initialisation???? - no experience of your bike, so clutching at proverbial straws)

anything more invasive could affect your warranty..

If the 80% charge is deduced from battery leds?? thats a 'rough guess based on an estimate based on an approximation', so just an indicator.. give it a full charge, it may be weak and pulled to low voltage on connection to the bike..

The battery comms issue however is something which if applicable to your bike may be something you want to bear in mind when taking the bike back to halfords for repair/replacement/return..

Edit* Welcome to the forum btw..

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
You most likely know this, but I'll mention it anyway, some of these systems need you to press and hold the start up button for a second or two. My partner has an older Pendeleton and I have a half baked memory that you might need to hold that start button for a moment or two.

Apologies if this is all crushingly obvious.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The control panel is connected directly to the battery. If it doesn't switch on, battery voltage is not reaching it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Try switching on the battery.