Protect yourself from fraud :)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I can't stress enough that if you want to protect yourself from internet fraudsters, then users of this forum must stop giving away personal details in their posts.
This is an open forum and can can read by just about anyone with access to the internet.
Phone numbers, addresses, full names etc..etc.. can all be collated by a crim to commit fraud.
If you need to give personal information to another member, then use the PM facility ;)

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
I suppose it is better not to give out information but is this not a case of treating the internet as something inherently different and dangerous to everything else - after all I used to give out that sort of information in a book which was distributed to everyone. I had this discussion the other day with a Mother who was very concerned that I had posted some happy snaps of our kid's playgroup on the internet as a means of distribution even though they were anonymous and not tagged.

I am not saying there is no danger - but the world does not fall on your head merely because you post some personal data on the internet.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I suppose it is better not to give out information but is this not a case of treating the internet as something inherently different and dangerous to everything else - after all I used to give out that sort of information in a book which was distributed to everyone. I had this discussion the other day with a Mother who was very concerned that I had posted some happy snaps of our kid's playgroup on the internet as a means of distribution even though they were anonymous and not tagged.

I am not saying there is no danger - but the world does not fall on your head merely because you post some personal data on the internet.
That's where people make the mistake of thinking that a small amount of information can't be used to commit identity fraud and swipe money from bank accounts etc.. etc..
Giving away some personal information to members of a playgroup is hardly everyone and unlikely to be full of Ronnie Biggs types :rolleyes:
Remember, there are crims who day in day out do nothing but trawl the internet, piecing together information with the idea of using this to commit some form of crime.
A little info from pedelecs, a little from facebook, a little from a hacked email account is all that's needed.
The world wont fall on your head, but a cleaned out bank account would certainly ruin your day.
I'm not trying to use scaremonger tactics to frighten users of this forum, just that everyone doesn't need to know certain information.
If you want to know more about an item for sale, why not use the PM facility?