Puncture proof tyres?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They've been around for years, commented on in threads before and have been reviewed in the past, but they are essentially a failure.

Tyres need different characteristics in the various planes, laterally they need to be stiff to give cornering stability while being vertically compliant to absorb road variations. These characteristics are a function of the tyre carcase construction and cannot be had with a one part material like polyurethane. That's why there are such things as radial and cross ply tyres, different carcase characters for different load bearing and handling purposes.

Solid tyres of the various kinds that have been tried all produce the same unsatisfactory results, somewhat insecure cornering feel and often poor bump absorption.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
They've been around for years, commented on in threads before and have been reviewed in the past, but they are essentially a failure.

Tyres need different characteristics in the various planes, laterally they need to be stiff to give cornering stability while being vertically compliant to absorb road variations. These characteristics are a function of the tyre carcase construction and cannot be had with a one part material like polyurethane. That's why there are such things as radial and cross ply tyres, different carcase characters for different load bearing and handling purposes.

Solid tyres of the various kinds that have been tried all produce the same unsatisfactory results, somewhat insecure cornering feel and often poor bump absorption.
Bet you get fed up of explaining this :eek:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
It gives him something to do in his retirement :p

Regards

Jerry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Bet you get fed up of explaining this :eek:
:D. Yup, and many of the other old chestnuts that keep repeating, like Slime compounds, radical new bike frame designs that claim to be improvements, claims that suspension bikes are more efficient, and claims that disc brakes are more effective than rim brakes.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi I have been fitting these tyres for 6 months now

Only for customers who cant have a puncture

if they are disabled or have heart or lung problems so cant walk far

if they are in a no signal mobile area thy have a serious problem

I found them a bit harsh on the road they have worn very well

You have to be careful of the rim width call the they will advise you

Hi Steve they specialize in tractor and wheel barrow tyres

Hancox Ltd | Amerityre tyres stop punctures, puncture proof tyres, flat free tyres, replacement wheelbarrow tyres, bicycle tyres, all round protection from punctures

Frank

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
:D. Yup, and many of the other old chestnuts that keep repeating, like Slime compounds, radical new bike frame designs that claim to be improvements, claims that suspension bikes are more efficient, and claims that disc brakes are more effective than rim brakes.
I would never go back to rim brakes or my ex she has mental problems :)

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I would never go back to rim brakes or my ex she has mental problems :)
ditto except the bit about the ex and the mental problems....(but before you start talking about braking efficiencies, yes I do understand why they are no better than rims at braking).