Punctures............

Westoe

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2015
NE12
I have been riding bicycles for over fifty years and joined the ebike revolution a few years back with a A2B Metro which I have altered to suite my riding style and use it to commute to and form work.
I recently bought a new Haibike XDURO to get me a little further on my weekend rides of forest trails and old wagon way routes.
In all my years riding I can only remember a couple of times a had the misfortune to get a puncture - licky I hear you say!
Since mid May I have suffered SEVEN punctures in the rear tyre - replaced two inner tubes - one being full of slime which got me home but I found the tyre flat in the morning.

The tyres on the bike are Schwalbe Racing Ralph and are as much use as riding on tissue paper!
They are very light and very easy to remove - in the event of a puncture - but offer no protection when off road.

Do any members have similar tyres or can advise of a decent replacement.

My normal MTB has 26 inch wheels and is currently shod with Moto tyres and has never let me down off road but then again the bike only weighs around 10 kg so that possibly makes a difference.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I have had many puncture free miles with Fat Frank's (like Big Apples), and DMR motos.

Westoe

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2015
NE12
I agree Wicky - the lad I ride with was going to purchase the same bike as me but he is very reluctant now after being with me on the rides I picked up the punctures. these tyres should come with a puncture warning - you will get several!
Big apples looks a good choice along with Mike's suggestion of Fat Franks - are these good off road in the mud?
Thanks for the reply guys.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
My pedal mtb has Racing Ralphs, and whilst they don't have any grip on wet Wealden clay, they roll fast and are pretty good as summer tyre.

I run a mix on the Lycan, a WTB vigilante on the front, and a Rocket Ron on the rear. The combination only came about because a failure of the Stans tubeless set up, and the WTB was such hard work to fit, so I switched to the OE Rocket Ron for ease . The only downside that I have found with this combination is that that the Rocket Ron needs to run at a lower pressure than the WTB. I'm quite happy to run with this set up until the autumn, then it will be back to WTB at both ends. They are one hell of a tyre for the price.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Smart Sams are a decent touring/trekking tyre.

There's now a Smart Sam Plus with extra puncture protection.

But the tread is too shallow for grip on mud.

For that, there's no substitute for some knobbles.

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
Marathon pluses for me. I have the tour version with some tread, but wouldn't fancy doing serious off road work with it. They do a mountain bike version with knobblies which might be worth checking.
I'm at 780 miles without a puncture so far...

Reactions: PatMcrotch

Westoe

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2015
NE12
Thanks EddiePJ - I like the look of both those tires.
RobF - I am thinking of another brand other then Schwalbe - I have lost confidence in this brand.
I used to remember a tire from Maxxis called the holy roller which I had on my normal bike a few years back and would love to get hold of that tyre in the 650b mould, but I cannot find them anywhere - must discontinued:(

Westoe

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2015
NE12
cheers pn_day - they look a good road tire - I am off for a seven day break - I think I will grab a few bike magazines from the airport as this looks like I need to a bit of research to get the one I think might be thorn needle resistant.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks EddiePJ - I like the look of both those tires.
RobF - I am thinking of another brand other then Schwalbe - I have lost confidence in this brand.
I used to remember a tire from Maxxis called the holy roller which I had on my normal bike a few years back and would love to get hold of that tyre in the 650b mould, but I cannot find them anywhere - must discontinued:(
Conti X King worth a look - it is lightly knobbled which should give you some grip in mud.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/continental-x-king-mtb-tyre/rp-prod83008

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The combination only came about because a failure of the Stans tubeless set up and the tyre WTB was such hard work to fit,

my new tyre was also a pita to get it on the rim and inflate it was like a gun going off at the garage air pump lol.

mine had a Schwalbe as well not much wear either 1 bit of glass and it went bang, id have gone flying if was at speed flat in 2 seconds flat.

evens wanted 30 quid to fit a new tire so just done it my self cant afford 75 quid blow outs.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
What has impressed me with the WTB's is their mud plugging ability.

To keep clearing and griping in conditions such as this, is pretty good.

I'm a fan of Pannaracer Fire Pro's and would have gone for those before fitting the WTB's but at the time, there weren't any 650b fitment available. This has now change though. Puncture resistance aside, pretty much everything else to do with off road tyres, is just in your head. Think that a tyre will have you on your backside, and it will. Think that the tyre will make you invincible and launch you across anything, and it will. Correct tyre pressure, is probably the single most important thing to off road riding.

edit.. A friend runs the Conti's that Rob has linked to, and he appears to be able to climb and get across anything using them. It helps that he weighs next to nothing, but it's still an impressive feat.

Westoe

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2015
NE12
Saw the conti's in Halfords at lunch time looked OK:)
The problem has been before we get to the interesting part of the ride we have to go through trails that seem to have thorn needle traps everywhere. Same ride different bike - no problem.
Same ride E-bike with Schwalbe tires = bloody punctures.
Today the wheel was out of balance that much with two patches about eight inched apart, when you picked up speed the bike was lurching every revolution of the rear wheel - not good when I still had twenty plus miles to get home!!

Appreciate all the replies - it is good to know what other folk have on their bikes at the moment - thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My off rode steed has Nobby Nicks not had any problems yet and I go over anything and through anything.

jimmyhackers

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2015
have you examined where the punctures are occuring?

is it from items puncturing the tyre wall and then the inner tube?

or is it the rim itself? do you run a rubber band thingy round your rim to protect the inner tube?

my rim came with unburred holes and no rubber bang thing. i went through 2 inner tubes before i realised and deburred every hole and put a rubber band thing on. so far so good

edit:

one of them to pop was a a 2.3"schwalhbe then i went back to a 1.95" cheapo and it popped then i di said fix

PatMcrotch

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 4, 2015
I had the same problem as soon as I bought my e-bike..all caused by 3 corner jacks (thorns).

I then switched over to mararhon plus tours. Best money I ever spent as I now have about 30 thorns that have broken off and are still in the tyres.

Yes that is 30 times I have not had to walk home. Dont have to carry a punture repair kit and pump either.

No good for full off-road work though

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I was seriously considering going tubeless...I ride mainly off road and in the past week have picked up 3 puncture caused by thorns. What do you guys think?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
mine are tubeless had to replace the front tyre as i ran over a bit off glass and it took out the front tyre but not had a problem since then tho Schwalbe tyres are rubbish tho.

i use stans no tubes in my tyres ;)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I was seriously considering going tubeless...I ride mainly off road and in the past week have picked up 3 puncture caused by thorns. What do you guys think?

I was running a Stans tubeless set up, but gave up with Stans after the fluid kept balling up after just a few months. I had already heard and read that this could be an issue with it, but choose to ignore the warnings.
It appears that Joes eco sealant is the way to go.

Soundwave, why do you consider Schwalbe tyre to be rubbish?
I can't say that I've ever had any problems with them. Both my bikes are running Schwalbe with no issues, and in fact I rather like them. They are light, sure footed, offer excellent grip, are very good across sketchy root sections, and roll well. I'm swapping them on the e-mtb for my WTB's vigilante set up for my trip to the Swiss alps, but that's simply because the tread pattern is more suited.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i just think there a bit thin rubber wise for the weight of the bike after taking it of tho i was prob just unlucky hitting a sharp bit of glass imo.

new tyre is thicker rubber wise but was a pita to get it on the rim tho.

i still got it if you want it not much wear on it either be a easy fix if you got inner tubes ;)

Advertisers