Questions for Dealers.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I have decided to buy a complete bike from a dealer. What questions should I ask (via email)?
(Please prefix your questions with the next number)
I'll go first:
Q1/If the bike is faulty in any way can I return it and have my money back?
Q2/Do you have trained bicycle mechanics?

Note for member dealers. Please feel free to contribute!

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Q3 How much are replacement batteries?
Q4 Can I service the bike easily, myself?

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I've had two bikes over the last five years from 50Cycles. Occasionally, when something went wrong they were quick to send me replacement parts to keep me on the road even before I had returned the faulty item which I think was very good of them and deserves a mention.

They will answer all your questions you have in your post.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Walkerman, I think Kitchenman is trying to elicit some questions prospective purchasers might ask a dealer.
Maybe asking about spares delivery and stocks would be a very useful question.

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
JuicyBike
I didn't think it was necessary to ask any questions other than 'When will I be able to take delivery?'

The bike has a warranty which was good enough for me, and it worked whenever I needed it.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Walkerman, I think Kitchenman is trying to elicit some questions prospective purchasers might ask a dealer.
Maybe asking about spares delivery and stocks would be a very useful question.
Yes. Up until yesterday my advice to prospective new ebike owners has been to "buy local". This is based on my own experience. It worked for me so it'll work for you .. however, its possible that the local dealer is not very good. From now on I will be advising "buy local" and ask them all these questions! .. then hopefully there will be less chance of it going horribly wrong.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
JuicyBike
I didn't think it was necessary to ask any questions other than 'When will I be able to take delivery?'

The bike has a warranty which was good enough for me, and it worked whenever I needed it.
Praise indeed. Well worth passing on.

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Perhaps once you have chosen a dealer then post a message on here enquiring about the experience others have had buying from that dealer, or search through older posts to see what good or bad experiences people have had.

I agree that it need not matter that a dealer is some distance from you if the service they provide is good. It is more important to have a dealer who wants to help and sort problems out, than one that is close by.

In an ideal world you would find a dealer who was nearby and good to deal with!

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
JuicyBike

But this can also be like taking the stand "I have insurance, what is the problem"

That is until you make a claim and watch how many hoops they will jump through to make sure they don`t have to pay out.

In my opinion asking these type of questions of a dealer makes perfect sense. It clarifies any points in the warranty that are confusing. The warranties are often written in legal jargon that can be confusing.

Steve

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
But this can also be like taking the stand "I have insurance, what is the problem"
That is until you make a claim and watch how many hoops they will jump through to make sure they don`t have to pay out.
When I asked in the lbs about the warranty on a regular bike I was told that its only the FRAME that is covered. For ebikes I suspect it'll be FRAME, BATTERY, CONTROLLER and MOTOR only.

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Correct, some bicycle components like a deuralieur will be covered by manufacturer by 1 year (Shimano for example). On e-bikes the cut outs in the brake levers should also be covered, we tend to say: FRAME, BATTERY, MOTOR and ELECTRONICS

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I can only give my experiences of the one dealer that I have had two bikes from in the last 5 years.

Shortly after receiving my PC Disc a reflector came loose and damaged a spoke in the rear wheel. One phone call to 50C and I had a complete new rear wheel before I had even sent the old one back.

Next I found the Stem wasn't right and within a few days a correct stem arrived.

A few weeks ago I had a puncture in the rear Continental Top Contact tyre. One call and I received a new tyre within 2 days without sending them the old one back.

No quibbling about warranty from these people so I am happy to praise them.

Even car suppliers can't match that sort of response and attitude.

I also live nearly 300 miles from them and decided on my bikes by viewing their website and reading comments of other buyers and then ordered by phone.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
So, they sound great, but what questions do you think would have helped you find out whether they were any good, without having the benefit of this (perfect) experience? If you were starting to purchase for the first time from a strange dealer?

Just thought of another... Q6 How long have you been dealing with electric bikes?

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
A few weeks ago I had a puncture in the rear Continental Top Contact tyre. One call and I received a new tyre within 2 days without sending them the old one back.
Blimey that is good. Adding ...
Q7/If I have a puncture will you send me a new tyre (without me sending the old one back)?
(Pitty the next dealer I buy a bike off! )

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It can get even better than that. I once posted in here about a fractured battery platform caused by road conditions and not a bike fault. My post was seen and the bike supplier sent me a new one in the mail without my asking!