Rear wheel cracked, advice on a stronger wheel please

Bigkevp

Pedelecer
May 30, 2016
west sussex
Hi all im currently on my 3rd wheel which has started to crack(image for referance same crack but around the whole circumference of the wheel) unsure why they are doing this as i mainly ride to work and back and dont treat the bike harshly. My tyre pressure is normally 37psi so not over inflated, im around 18 stone give or take a few grams...... So now im looking for a downhill rear wheel as i guess thats as strong as you can get so can anyone give me some advice on what will fit etc. My bike is a 2016 haibike full seven, im wondering if this will fit my bike? see link here.....http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-generator-dh-275-rear-wheel-150x12mm-2016/rp-prod137047
thanks all.index.jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Bigkevp

Pedelecer
May 30, 2016
west sussex

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the carbon ones are double that again each but i doubt you will brake one of them ;)

if you look on hi end wheel sites they all have waight limits so you might be a few grams over for them wheels if 3 has gone in the same way.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
i will only ride on Chris Kings now i am converted and won't ride on nothing else

"Chris King The Bentley of hubs"

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i will only ride on Chris Kings now i am converted and won't ride on nothing else

"Chris King The Bentley of hubs"
there expensive plus limited to what rims you can use like my cb wheels and at the end of the day they just hold the bearings in the hub and i can replace mine easy enough.

i have broken a xd hub tho so work that one out lol

Simon C

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2016
North West
Hi Bigkevp I bought these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/crank-brothers-cobalt-3-27-5-mtb-wheelset/rp-prod112869 2 months ago and can fully recommend i am 15.5 stone and have put them through hell over lakeland hard rock trails they haven't even got a mark on them i was dubious t first thinking would i get the value out of them best upgrade I have done on bike difference in handling and freewheeling is unbelievable they work out at 385 when you add the discount for the pair

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi all im currently on my 3rd wheel which has started to crack(image for referance same crack but around the whole circumference of the wheel) unsure why they are doing this as i mainly ride to work and back and dont treat the bike harshly. My tyre pressure is normally 37psi so not over inflated, im around 18 stone give or take a few grams...... So now im looking for a downhill rear wheel as i guess thats as strong as you can get so can anyone give me some advice on what will fit etc. My bike is a 2016 haibike full seven, im wondering if this will fit my bike? see link here.....http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-generator-dh-275-rear-wheel-150x12mm-2016/rp-prod137047
thanks all.View attachment 19444
it could well be that the cause of rim splitting is down to your tyres being under-inflated for your weight.
For 18st, I would recommend 50 PSI on 1.95" tyres. The higher air pressure will spread the load more quickly and keeps the rim farther from the pot holes.

Bigkevp

Pedelecer
May 30, 2016
west sussex
Really? now that's interesting because I would have thought that the more pressure would put more load on the rim? im going for 2.35 tyre because of the way I feel it gives me more contact to the surface im running on. im going to order the nukeproof rims front and rear and reinforce both with some rim tape from a quality brand in the hope it may make it more ridged! then if the rear fails again I will go with soundwaves option.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
i bought some hope hoops (flow ex downhill rims) on dt swiss 240 hubs and dt swiss spokes easy to service and up there with CK. They get great reviews. The only thing better imho for my bike were the enve wheels, but not worth the price difference. Read some bad stuff on mavic wheels, in terms of some parts being be-spoke and not easy to replace / service.

Last edited:

Bigkevp

Pedelecer
May 30, 2016
west sussex
Got some nukeproof DH wheels turning up tomorrow or Thurs also got some rim tape in the hope to reinforce the centre of rim, will try a higher pressure in my tyre and if all that fails the I'll get a mavic wheel and sell a kidney!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you might as well go tubeless as the rim tape wont do jack bar using it for that :)

tl ready dont have the holes in the rim so no tape needed.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
lol :) do you want DH tyres as well ? might be a pita to fit mind and extra waight.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Related Articles

Advertisers