Red stuff for making rear lights from fronts

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Bit hard finding bright flashers for rears, so wondered about using a cheap front flasher, and changing the colour - but can't find anything suitable for the red.

When I was working, I'd have used various bits of red film/paper that we employed in graphics, but living in blissful retirement, I'm reduced to old Ocado bags or similar.

Anyone got any bright ideas as to an easy (cheap) source of red cellophane-type material?

Allen.

donnoirf

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2010
KINGS NORTON BIRMINGHAM
try using a coloured sharpie pen or permanent marker to colour the lense inside & out & also colour the bulb.

it may take a couple of coats, but it works

it did this a couple of weeks back with a front knog light that I wonted to use on the back

Donna

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks Donna, Trevor; good ideas.

A

D

Deleted member 4366

The best flashing lights I have found are Tesco's. You get a front and rear in the pack for £4.99. They are extremely bright! You can buy 3 packs for the price of two as well!

On my bike, I drilled the lights and screwed them inside the front and back mudguards so no tea-leaves know they are there. I just had to make sure that they shone at the right angle - i.e. directly into the face of following car drivers.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Bit hard finding bright flashers for rears, so wondered about using a cheap front flasher, and changing the colour - but can't find anything suitable for the red.

When I was working, I'd have used various bits of red film/paper that we employed in graphics, but living in blissful retirement, I'm reduced to old Ocado bags or similar.

Anyone got any bright ideas as to an easy (cheap) source of red cellophane-type material?

Allen.
Al

I think I have some coloured gel sheet from when my bike shed was my photo studio that I used over my flood lights, I`ll turn it out and find you some if you get stuck mate.
I purchased some flashing lights very cheap and they work a treat, the rear take 2 AA`s and last ages. I`ll look for the link.

Dave

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks Dave, still useful.

As it happens, Mrs. Allen-uk came home from an afternoon's shopping having popped in to Halfords and picked up this:

Evans Cycles | Smart Lunar R1 Rear Light | Online Bike Shop

Damn me, it's bright (and red). I have attached it to the rear of my helmet.

I might do the modification thing on a spare white flasher and stick that under the saddle, too.

These dark windy wet nights in NW London are getting dangerous, and the more Christmas-tree-like you can make yourself, the better your chances of survival!

A