Relatively fit cyclist wanting to use car less for a 10-15km commute

qpop

Just Joined
Aug 9, 2022
Hi all

I have been cycling regularly for a couple of years and consider myself relatively fit (but not particularly fast..!)

I currently own a nice Ti gravel/touring bike from Planet X that I intended to ride to work regularly, but it hasnt happened. I practice judo twice a week and try to get in the gym at least twice in addition, as well as paddleboarding and running in the summer, and the commute distance/hills mean I’m riding in less regularly than I’d like due to energy constraints

My thinking is that a pedal assist bike will turn that half hour to 45 minute (depending on route) “run” into a walk, and encourage me to leave the car at home on a nice day when I have other activities to do when I get home

I have so far looked at Ribble/similar as options, as they feel closer to what I know. I’m not sure whether to get something similar to the CGR (which has geometry close to my bike, possibly a little more aggressive), or the hybrid style and accept that this is more of a vehicle than a toy.

Before reading this forum I hadn’t considered a conversion kit, but I’m not sure it’s the right fit for me as I want to retain my bike as it is for weekend rides and commutes where I want it to feel like “proper exercise”.

Budget is probably in the £2-£3.5k range.
I’m in my mid 30s and 6’3” 90-95kg if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi all

I have been cycling regularly for a couple of years and consider myself relatively fit (but not particularly fast..!)

I currently own a nice Ti gravel/touring bike from Planet X that I intended to ride to work regularly, but it hasnt happened. I practice judo twice a week and try to get in the gym at least twice in addition, as well as paddleboarding and running in the summer, and the commute distance/hills mean I’m riding in less regularly than I’d like due to energy constraints

My thinking is that a pedal assist bike will turn that half hour to 45 minute (depending on route) “run” into a walk, and encourage me to leave the car at home on a nice day when I have other activities to do when I get home

I have so far looked at Ribble/similar as options, as they feel closer to what I know. I’m not sure whether to get something similar to the CGR (which has geometry close to my bike, possibly a little more aggressive), or the hybrid style and accept that this is more of a vehicle than a toy.

Before reading this forum I hadn’t considered a conversion kit, but I’m not sure it’s the right fit for me as I want to retain my bike as it is for weekend rides and commutes where I want it to feel like “proper exercise”.

Budget is probably in the £2-£3.5k range.
I’m in my mid 30s and 6’3” 90-95kg if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
for that distance, I would recommend the Woosh Faro.
You can easily upgrade its components - something I would have done if there were enough volume; carbon fork, better transmission, better handlebars, saddle and pedals.
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?faro