Safe cycle routes. Are there any really?

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Having ridden 500 miles in the last few months I've had a number of near miss accidents riding some routes. I try and ride safely but on shared pedestrian and cycle paths it's starting to worry me. The worst is pedestrians going directly across cycle lanes out of nowhere. There are benches along side and durt paths adjoining route, but with the lush green bushes it's a shock when they step out infront from nowhere.
I'm now trying different routes and keeping more to back roads Vs cycle paths because of the anxiety I'm getting.
It's been surprising to me how dangerous some routes are that are signed as cycle routes because of the pedestrians.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I do end up on winding uphill trails occasionally, and I find this helpful to warn people of my approach ahead of bends. Also handy for blasting at drunks on pavements at night who may otherwise stagger right in front of me on the road. The horn sound works best, unsure what reaction it's bird/harpy shriek option is designed to have. Feels good beeping drivers loudly too. I've had this for two years and haven't needed to change it's two AAA batteries, despite my wanton and furious beeping at everything and everyone.

Three very bright headlights on constantly day and night, have helped me avoid many mishaps. Constant at night, flash during the day. Because I dip them down ahead of my bike, a couple of months ago in daylight, they alerted a van driver of my approaching ahead of an intersection, which I was very pleased about, because he stopped and I didn't get squished. Something similar happened in the 80s which prompted me to give up cycling until 2019. I crashed into a BMW that time - that driver didn't stop because he'd exited an aperture in a brick wall directly in front of me on the road, because there was no pavement and he couldn't see me because of the wall. My bike crumpled when it hit his front wheel. There were no easily fitted mega bright lights for bicycles available then. His seeing a bright flashing in the road ahead of him, might have had the same effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wayners

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I have the same issue daily with folk wandering all over the shared cycle path 3 or 4 abreast often with kids too and how shocked they look when i tinkle my lil bell at em.. I read on one of the US EV forums of a chap who fitted a rather loud clown car sounding horn, which apparently encourages the startled rabbits to smile rather than scowl??? I dunno but if i see one on ebay im kinda tempted..

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I was thinking I need a horn. I use bell but I don't think it's good enough.
Drivers can't hear tinkling bells. Druggies and drunks might be attracted to the lovely sounds they make.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
pump a 2l pop bottle fitted with a tyre valve upto 100psi and you can keep an air horn tooting for days..
fit a big air horn and i will give u a 30l polykeg you can safely pump upto 100psi it'l weigh bugger all and give you hours of tootin pleasure

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
@guerney

I've ordered that horn. Looks just the job.
Can't wait to get the horn tbh. ;)
The trigger for mine is directly under the index finger of my left hand on the handgrip. I check positioning is perfect before a ride, for rapidfire loud beepy action. Beeping back at drivers really seems to annoy some of them - after beeping me while passing too close and fast, one driver turned his van around to have a right shout. Total nutter.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I read on one of the US EV forums of a chap who fitted a rather loud clown car sounding horn, which apparently encourages the startled rabbits to smile rather than scowl???
That's fright overriding flight. Deer frozen by headlights sort of thing.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

you should have a roll round our race track for ram rovers.
20220620_151423[1].jpg
:p

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have the same issue daily with folk wandering all over the shared cycle path 3 or 4 abreast often with kids too and how shocked they look when i tinkle my lil bell at em.. I read on one of the US EV forums of a chap who fitted a rather loud clown car sounding horn, which apparently encourages the startled rabbits to smile rather than scowl??? I dunno but if i see one on ebay im kinda tempted..
Those loud horns don't work. either people don't repond, it makes them panic or it makes them angry. The best warning is a "bring bring" type bell because that's what people associate with a bicycle coming. Ny friend and I tried a whole range of warning devices, but none worked other than the bell. the loud horn works better on the road for cars because they're tuned to that sound when driving.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
Shared cycle routes are just that - the clue is in the title. No amount of lights or audable warning devices will get around the fact that pedestrians have priority. Just read the Highway Code.
My own personal gripe is with dog owners who frequent what is known locally as "Dog ** Alley", an otherwise very pleasant shared part of National Cycle Route 534. Fido bounding about off-lead has nearly upended me on many occasions, with the owner giving a nervous laugh and "Oooh, sorry about that".
I've had the odd run-in with people who, despite me approaching at a very slow speed and ringing the bell, are startled away from their mobile phones sufficiently for them to give me abuse -"You shouldn't be riding a bike on this path!". Pointing to the clear cycling signs doesn't bring about a change in tone.
It's all about tolerance - or the lack of it. I recognise that all of these peope have priority over me and I ride accordingly, however annoying it can be at times. As cyclists we hope for the same consideration from motor vehicle drivers when we are riding on the roads.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Those loud horns don't work. either people don't repond, it makes them panic or it makes them angry.
The reaction from people on paths hasn't been bad. I sound the Hornit well ahead of time, not when I'm right behind them and they move out of the way. It sounds like the horn of a very small vehicle, and it is. Small mopedy.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
My own personal gripe is with dog owners who frequent what is known locally as "Dog ** Alley", an otherwise very pleasant shared part of National Cycle Route 534. Fido bounding about off-lead has nearly upended me on many occasions, with the owner giving a nervous laugh and "Oooh, sorry about that".
Be grateful badgers aren't kept as pets :eek:

Related Articles

Advertisers