Safe cycle routes. Are there any really?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Effective against errant car drivers though !

But risks a manslaughter charge if it's use causes a pedestrian's fatal heart attack. :(
That reminds me of that incident a couple of years back that started with a cyclist waiting at traffic lights at a big junction. The lights turned green, so he started to go, but the pedestrians crossing on the other side of the junction didn't stop. He gave a blast of his big horn, which stopped more coming and made the rest hurry accross, then, just when he reached that part of the road, one of them panicked and decided to run back to the other side - straight in front of him, causing the bike to hit her arm. She sued him, and the judge said that he knew she was there because he sounded his horn, so he should have stopped. IIRC, he lost his house over it because he wasn't insured. If he hadn't sounded his horn, he might have got away with it. I seem to remember that causing panic on the forum and everybody rushed out to get insurance. That included me.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Pedestrians have priority on the road - he should have stopped until the way was completely clear, not sounded his horn or bell.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
what insurance?
cycle insurance for theft/loss and 3rd party liability primarily, an ebike as long as rd legal may carry a premium, but since many cycles cost 1000's anyway,, my circa £800 valued ebike (new bike + kit costs) costs £80 p.a

You may get a better deal from you home insurer, iirc co-op offered excellent cover away from the home for very little. the house is currently insured via the cheapest web option thats a hassle to contact so just went online and googled..

edit, I rang 2 places to confirm ebike kit conversions were covered and while very hot on the 250w and 15mph and 4mph throttle limits and would refuse cover if anything was not according to the regs kits and any additions were fine as long as i had proof of purchase and were within whats understood to be legal.

Last edited:

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
British Cycling Insurance state that.....

"(7) E-bike (Electrically assisted pedal cycle) must have pedals that can be used to propel it, the electric motor should have a maximum power output of 250 watts or less, and the motor should not be able to propel the bike when it is travelling more than 15.5mph. In addition your E-bike must display either the power output or manufacturer of the motor, as well as either the battery voltage or maximum speed of the bike, as defined by the manufacturer."

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I doubt the insurance will cover any self build e bike, they will always try and find/wriggle out of any suspect case.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney and esuark

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
British Cycling Insurance state that.....

"(7) E-bike (Electrically assisted pedal cycle) must have pedals that can be used to propel it, the electric motor should have a maximum power output of 250 watts or less, and the motor should not be able to propel the bike when it is travelling more than 15.5mph. In addition your E-bike must display either the power output or manufacturer of the motor, as well as either the battery voltage or maximum speed of the bike, as defined by the manufacturer."

They've just copy and pasted the info from the government website, which is incorrect. Nearly every OEM ebike sold in the UK has a maximum power of more than 250w. It should say "rated power" of 250w or less.

Reactions: Slightlypedantic

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Update

Hornit bike horn arrive and I fitted it. Really good. I like the churp you get from a quick flick of the button.
I see Aldi have a similar horn on offer today with other new bike kit..

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Update

Hornit bike horn arrive and I fitted it. Really good. I like the churp you get from a quick flick of the button.
KERCHING! Commission ;)

I see Aldi have a similar horn on offer today with other new bike kit..
I bought one, it's rubbish in comparison. Less shocking for pedestrians on paths, but I can't hear how it can possibly get through to drivers.

Reactions: Wayners

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Update.

Hornit bike horn started ringing out and I could not stop it. My ears were ringing! Pulled switch plug and that stopped it so I suspect cable or switch trouble. No visual signs of a problem.

I've taken batteries out as and put in airing cupboard as it started today, although I've tried to keep rain off with a plastic bag. I can test the switch wire with multi tester but can't do much with horn. Was working well though.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think it might be one of those blister/bubble switches - mine hasn't failed, but I saw spare switches on the Hornit website, so might be a common problem. The switch connects to the horn using a standard mini mono audio jack plug, looks easy to replace with a more robust and cheap horn switch. The switch did look flimsy to me, so I bought a cheap horn switch from Amazon for £1.29, just in case, but it's been more than two years and it hasn't stopped working yet.

You've only had it since Sep 23, 2023, I'd contact Hornit...

Last edited:
Reactions: Wayners

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Another update.

Hornit is working fine now, so I think its water ingress.
Going to have to think about that?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Was water inside the jack connector causing a short, or was there some some other short inside the horn unit? I'd dry it out thoroughly - throw your soggy horn/phone/camera etc. in an airtight bag with this stuff for a few days, it's useful have handy. Move the beads around a bit every day or so.

Because my handlebar is crowded, I've mostly kept the horn angled down, I don't know if that makes a difference. Seems just as loud, and there's less chance of rain entering through the front of the horn. I bought the Hornit V1 for £19.99 with free delivery, and very often cycle when it's raining, the V1 seems fine over two years later. Have they removed waterproofing on the 33% more expensive V2 as an added bonus?

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
silica crystal cat litter is about a fiver for 5l, pretty much the same stuff as found in the little silica dehydration pouches, and can also be revitalised in the oven (best not to try this after used for cat litter tho.. )

• :D
Reactions: guerney

Related Articles

Advertisers