Scam on Gumtree.

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
A Haibike Sduro hard 7 has been advertised on Gumtree for a few days now. Hardly ridden, works perfect etc. £870.00 Ad shows a contact in Ingol near Preston. Sounded too good to be true, but it's only half an hour away so I sent an email, heard nothing, sent another email a couple of days later. Then this morning I got a text supposedly from Gumtree with an email address to contact. The reply to my email was that yes the bike was still for sale, but now only £550.00. However the bike was not in Preston but in Piraeus Greece but the vendor Would ship the bike to me & pay the shipping costs. This was obviously a really good deal. So I immediately sent £550.00 in used ten pound notes. All I have to do now is wait a few days for the bike to arrive & watch out for "Flying pigs"
Steve

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
Gumtree is really really bad had my daughters. moped forsale here in the uk.Some one offered full asking price from Nz.but wanted postage paid upfront as he couldnt do it that end. Yeah right,.Then theres Ebay robbing sods. I need to calm down, wheres my bike.,

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
In fairness to Gumtree I had an email from them this morning, warning me that the ad had been reported as suspicious activity.
Steve

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
So I immediately sent £550.00 in used ten pound notes.
Dear Steve,

I was about to ship the bike but then I noticed that the notes all have the same serial number. Is this normal?

Yours etc. etc.

• :D
Reactions: Fordulike

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Winlaton Mill 6 miles from Newcastle
Dear Steve,

I was about to ship the bike but then I noticed that the notes all have the same serial number. Is this normal?

I too was attracted by the price. The contact on Gumtree was "Alice". On asking the frame size, "Dimitrios" replied asking for my mobile number. I resisted this and after another e mail, "Dimitrios" replied giving the frame size as 54cm. Fortunatly too big for me, so that was it .

Gumtree have now alerted me to suspicious activity.

We are a little older and wiser now.

Where will it appear next ?

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Winlaton Mill 6 miles from Newcastle
Yes I too was attracted by the price. Replied to poster "Alice" asking the frame size and mileage. "Dimitrios" replied asking for my mobile number. I resisted this and after another e mail, "Dimitrios" gave frame size as 54cm. Luckily too big, so no more contact.

We are a little older and wiser now to this scam.

Gumtree also e mailed me alerting me to suspicious activity.

Where will the bike appear next ?

Related Articles

Advertisers