Seized caliper piston. Is it worth trying to free it

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Joking side, its something thats been brewing for a while. I had this trouble before with brakes getting noisy and not working right after a wetting so put new pads in, and to get them in I had to really force one of the pistons back in, cleaned all the black dust out and they were fine for a while so it looks like the issue is there. I only have 3 options.. Fix it, pay someone to fix it or buy a new bike, (SW's choice as he always finds expensive ways around my issues), but I prefer to waste my cash on .. well, Junk, some would say!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Joking side, its something thats been brewing for a while. I had this trouble before with brakes getting noisy and not working right after a wetting so put new pads in, and to get them in I had to really force one of the pistons back in, cleaned all the black dust out and they were fine for a while so it looks like the issue is there. I only have 3 options.. Fix it, pay someone to fix it or buy a new bike, (SW's choice as he always finds expensive ways around my issues), but I prefer to waste my cash on .. well, Junk, some would say!
well you will have to spend 6k plus to get high end anything on a new bike so them hope brakes are cheap compared to that at 300 quid for 2 but you can also then put them on a new bike if the stock ones are crap be serviceable last longer be more adjustable than low end stock ones.

i have avid xo trail on my bike but the rotors that came with it was crap even on a 6k bike so they had to go as was getting so hot i just warped the crap out of them but not had any problems since i fitted hope 203 rotors front and rear as was about 40 quid each for just new rotors plus rear adaptor.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
well you will have to spend 6k plus to get high end anything on a new bike so them hope brakes are cheap compared to that at 300 quid for 2 but you can also then put them on a new bike if the stock ones are crap be serviceable last longer be more adjustable than low end stock ones.

i have avid xo trail on my bike but the rotors that came with it was crap even on a 6k bike so they had to go as was getting so hot i just warped the crap out of them but not had any problems since i fitted hope 203 rotors front and rear as was about 40 quid each for just new rotors plus rear adaptor.
I won't ever spend 6 killion pounds on a bike.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i got it for 3500 of ebay with 160 miles on it the guy travels 3 times that to deliver it for 100 quid pmsl ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I won't ever spend 6 killion pounds on a bike.
you can get 50k plus from a cash point mind you just need a gas bottle and some hose and valves and remote voltage detonator.;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Obviously this time SW forgot and left someone else's card at home this time :oops:.

• :D
Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• Useful
Reactions: Gubbins

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Remove wheel and pads. Spray pistons with silicone lube. Work pistons in and out. Scrub with toothbrush. Spray with silicone lube then wipe as much as possible with kitchen roll.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
OK will go get some ..When in LBS to get my gears repaired after a tumble..he told me my bearings were dry and needed looking at. I thought he meant wheel bearings but its the pivot bearings that are creaking a bit. can I use this on them?

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
never got on with brake cleaner on bike.
I remove wheel, rub neat fairy liquid, other brands available, rinse thoroughly with hose. Take out pads and heat till smoking with blow lamp.

Related Articles

Advertisers