Server move

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi all,

We have moved servers today (Fri 21/10/2022). Please drop me a PM if you experience any issues.

Thanks
Russ.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'm getting certificate errors on the site. Also having difficulty reporting this as PM (that may be my fault)

• Agree
Reactions: StuartsProjects

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I'm getting certificate errors on the site. Also having difficulty reporting this as PM (that may be my fault)
Hi, should be OK now. It takes a little while for the change to rippled out across the net.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Looking fine now, thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
They (you know who I mean) have almost reached the heights of absurdity with the possibility of the discredited Boris standing again. I think they could go one better: Liz should stand as her own replacement, after all she was voted for by a significant majority of the party members.

• :D
Reactions: guerney and Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
We have moved servers today (Fri 21/10/2022).
I had noticed the server change - why was a change necessary? Was it for features or lower cost? What new features does the new server have?

Now images don't fully load sometimes, like this top left graphic. It doesn't happen often. This isn't because of a slow connection, I have 100mb Virginmedia. It happens on both Chrome and Firefox browsers, and didn't happen on the old server. Here's a Firefox screenshot:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Now images don't fully load sometimes, like this top left graphic. It doesn't happen often. This isn't because of a slow connection, I have 100mb Virginmedia.
Those interrupted loadings of images are not necessarily caused by the server. They can come from CDNs, routers between your virgin media routers and the server, google code caches or more likely browser cache keeping corrupted compressed images.
I noticed for example that the quality of my VOIP calls between UK and France is much better than calls in the UK, even when I use my phone as wifi hotspot in France. I have 100mb link in UK by Vodaphone, 30mb link in France by SFR and yet, ping is faster from France.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Those interrupted loadings of images are not necessarily caused by the server. They can come from CDNs, routers between your virgin media routers and the server, google code caches or more likely browser cache keeping corrupted compressed images.
I noticed for example that the quality of my VOIP calls between UK and France is much better than calls in the UK, even when I use my phone as wifi hotspot in France. I have 100mb link in UK by Vodaphone, 30mb link in France by SFR and yet, ping is faster from France.
It's the server. Happens a lot with cloud servers lacking suffcient allocation of CPU and/or RAM. As I said, this didn't happen before the server change.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
@Woosh BTW - For no apparent reason, last week guru.co.uk sent me two free packs of Haribo sweets, a couple of coasters and a card which said "We think you're awesome". I was shocked, because usually hosting companies are relentlessly hungry leeches from hell.

Totally unnecessary gifts, as they are epic web hosts.

Reactions: Woosh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
One minor thing on the site, not related to the server.
When you select 'new posts' it serves a url that includes some time indication,
and puts that decorated url on the address bar, eg
h t t p s://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/whats-new/posts/2341919/
This means that F5 refresh does not work appropriately.
It would be much better if as with most similar sites it left the url as submitted, eg
h t t p s://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/whats-new/posts/

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It would be much better if as with most similar sites it left the url as submitted, eg
Yes, I had noticed that too. I stopped trying to find new posts that way, which would be more convenient if it worked.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Aha, deleting anything which comes after this in the URL, then hitting enter, displays new posts. Probably best to bookmark:

h t t p s ://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/whats-new/posts/

EDIT: Er... scratch that, doesn't work to show new posts, but the number at the end keeps adding 1.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
we need a dark style option :cool:

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
we need a dark style option :cool:
There are addons for Firefox to enable dark mode for all websites... they don't work perfectly for all of them, but are pretty good.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There are addons for Firefox to enable dark mode for all websites... they don't work perfectly for all of them, but are pretty good.
can you trust browser extensions?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Yes, it's easy enough to get new posts by various ways such as a bookmark, but F5 is so ingrained for appropriate refresh on almost all sites that it would be by far my preferred way of getting there.

I do trust extensions but use with care. I use stylebot on this site to make it easier for me to read; especially clearer highjlighting of read/unread post titles.
DarkReader on Chrome does a good job of dark mode;

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
but F5 is so ingrained for appropriate refresh on almost all sites that it would be by far my preferred way of getting there.
I did not notice anything wrong with the new server. all the links to menu items are still same. I use MS Edge on Win10.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers