Short Commuter Advice

gpt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 29, 2023
Hi,

I'm new and having a good mooch around. Thankyou to anyone who opened this thread and can chip in! Reason for being here: after racking up a 1000 miles on my e scooter commuting for 2 years - it finally got seized the other day. Always sensible use I might add, on cycle lane - nobody around - causing no harm - but we know the laws.

So I need a replacement.

My commute is 3 miles each way. I can't ever see me using the bike for more than 5 miles each way. So relatively short!

I will be using the cycle to work scheme as it's a big saving for me. Budget can be up to 3k

I would like to be able to get away with up to 25mph assisted (yes I know the law, no I didn't learn my lesson) - but obviously I need to be able to hide this as best as possible. I noticed in another thread somebody re programmed their display to not read out above 25kph - so I'm assuming there are ways and means?

The bike needs to be wife friendly just in terms of usability. I don't think there's too many restrictions here but I think it needs to look like a traditional bike

A bit of a different discussion - is there any benefits to going the DIY route? If I'm looking for 25mph anyway I'm guessing support/warranty would be limited to none existent, so can this save money and get better parts? And is anyone aware of places that can help in this regard with the cycle to work scheme?

Nope, I have barely any experience with bikes but I'm reasonably handy and happy to learn.

Thanks again for any advice!

Gpt

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
how did plod take the scooter? why you not try a getaway lol.

just get another scooter and wear a dress with some black shoe polish on ur face and they wont even go there.

Sarge1892

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 5, 2023
id ask a few more questions

1 is this to be used fulltime for commuting or just when the weather is nice

if full time you might want something with a little widertire tread than say a brompton to handle rain and even snow a little better

2 do you have ANY intentions of using public transport as a backup if so a folder might be of interest a brompton in this case would be perfect as those can fit between your legs and the seat infront

3 do you have other forms of transport? i know you say you'll only go 3 miles buti thought id be the same too but with no other transport I go everywhere so some cargo capacity might be of interest

4 whats the storage situation like at home? do you have a shed garage or utility area where this bike can live or would something compact be of value so it could live in the hallway or under the stairs

5 what kinda weight your looking for? do you have to carry it up a lot of stairs?

6 whilst at work where will you be storing it if a private carpacrk no big issue but if your only option is street parking I might suggest going ultra small once againbrompton so it can come inside with you and be stwoed out the way in your place of work