Shwalbe Tyre problem

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
Hi
Has anyone experience this with Shwalbe tyres, according to Shwalbe they call it 'Threading' and its perfectly safe to cut it away but its wearing badly into the sidewalls after less than 12 months use so clearly not safe to use. I have always kept the tyres properly inflated as well,Tyre 1.jpg Tyre 2.jpg Tyre 3.jpg Tyre 4.jpg think its the last time I buy Shwalbe!

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Never seen that before :eek: if it's not to much trouble I'd go back to the shop they came from.
Personally I'm a Schwalbe fan, 4 prs on several bikes over 8 years.
As they have always performed Well for me so I know what to expect when I buy my next pr.;)

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hi
Has anyone experience this with Shwalbe tyres, according to Shwalbe they call it 'Threading' and its perfectly safe to cut it away but its wearing badly into the sidewalls after less than 12 months use so clearly not safe to use. I have always kept the tyres properly inflated as well,View attachment 22857 View attachment 22858 View attachment 22859 View attachment 22860 think its the last time I buy Shwalbe!
My Michelin on the motor wheel went like that after 3600 km and 12 months. How many km on that one? That tyre is one of their cheaper ones which is why is often mounted OEM.

• Informative

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
This was the reply from Shwalbe, I won't be buying any more of theirs, I bought from a well known bike shop on the internet so would cost more to send them back and be to much hassle.

Hi John

Thank you for your email, I am sorry to read your tyres have raised concerns.

As I am sure you can appreciate from images alone it is difficult to comment with certainty as to a possible cause for this issue however from these images I would tend towards this been what we refer to as being “threading” whereby excessive chafer material comes loose from the tyre as if threads are coming away. Whilst unsightly this is not an issue for a seated tyre as this material will be excess and can be cut away so as it is not dangling from the rim of the tyre.

However I always advise contacting the supplier of the tyre so as they can inspect in person to ensure that your tyre is safe to use and not exhibiting a defect which will render it unusable. Naturally any Schwalbe tyre exhibiting a manufacturing defect will resolved via the supplier retailer so as you are up and running again as quickly as possible.

• Informative

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
My Michelin on the motor wheel went like that after 3600 km and 12 months. How many km on that one? That tyre is one of their cheaper ones which is why is often mounted OEM.
Probably around 1200 miles, the tyre is specific for ebikes by the way and is both front and rear wheel

• Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
???

1. a major company replied
2. they were polite and helpful
3. not buying from them any more...

If you can find better service elsewhere please let us know!

e-bike 25 means it can handle 10 kg extra weight, 25 km/h speed and a bit of extra torque. Most bike tyres can do that. EU certified tyres for s-pedelecs are a different kettle of fish.

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
???

1. a major company replied
2. they were polite and helpful
3. not buying from them any more...

If you can find better service elsewhere please let us know!

e-bike 25 means it can handle 10 kg extra weight, 25 km/h speed and a bit of extra torque. Most bike tyres can do that. EU certified tyres for s-pedelecs are a different kettle of fish.
Wow what a kurt reply to a genuine problem!!!!!

• Disagree
Reactions: EddiePJ

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It actually doesn't look too bad from the photo, a shame we don't have a photo of it on the rim and fully inflated I tend to agree with the reply Schwalbe gave you and think you are the one who is over reacting.

think its the last time I buy Shwalbe!
This was the reply from Shwalbe, I won't be buying any more of theirs, ...
Is the other one in exactly the same condition? Is it on the same side? Notice how I am trying to find an explanation?

Reactions: EddiePJ

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
It actually doesn't look too bad from the photo, a shame we don't have a photo of it on the rim and fully inflated I tend to agree with the reply Schwalbe gave you and think you are the one who is over reacting.

Is the other one in exactly the same condition? Is it on the same side? Notice how I am trying to find an explanation?
You are clearly not grasping this properly and are jumping to conclusions, I worked in engineering and fault finding all my life so I am not stupid in these aspects of things I just wanted other peoples experiences regarding tyre problems like this especially Shwalbe as I have had other makes over the years with no problems!! If you choose to look properly there are pics on and off the rim in the post of both the front and rear wheels and the front is a Plus and the rear is a Plus Tour

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I looked again and the photo on the rim, well how can I say it... I totally agree with the Schwabe representative it doesn't look like a serious problem. At all.

And I am trying to find an explanation especially now that you say there are two different types of tyre with the same threading.

IS IT ON THE SAME SIDE OF THE BIKE? Sorry for shouting but I asked nicely before...

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
I looked again and the photo on the rim, well how can I say it... I totally agree with the Schwabe representative it doesn't look like a serious problem. At all.

And I am trying to find an explanation especially now that you say there are two different types of tyre with the same threading.

IS IT ON THE SAME SIDE OF THE BIKE? Sorry for shouting but I asked nicely before...
I really think you need to be sure and polite!! before you make a reply, The tyres are ebike ready 50 ECE-R75 certified which are for faster bikes. https://www.schwalbe.com/en-GB/tour-reader/energizer-plus-tour.html also its is wearing into the rubber of the sidewall clearly a danger as I have never experienced this with any other brands.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

I've not seen that sort of defect before, but I can tell you that it's dead easy to damage them when fitting because they have a wired bead, which means that you mustn't fold them during shipping and you need a a correct technique to get them over the rim, i.e. no excessive lever force.

I can help you with the letter from Schwalbe. What they're saying is that they don't deal directly with end customers, so you must take it back to your dealer, who will give you a new one. I don't see any reason to be disappointed with that reply, and it's not a reason not to buy another one.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Why aren't you answering the important question I am asking? We have had your anti-Schwalbe rant and yet as an "engineer" we aren't getting the facts, that is a sure way of annoying people...

This is Michelin tyre with 3600+ km and 12 months old the side wall has failed, the front tyre is as new minus a bit of rubber and in the spare parts bin. So I do know what I am talking about.

I am not married to Schwalbe, don't have stock in the company etc. etc. and started using their products in June 2016. Before that I have been in contact with many different brands including no name Chinese which have exploded or really had major sidewall failures. My goal is to get to the root cause.

Can we have more facts please?

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
I've not seen that sort of defect before, but I can tell you that it's dead easy to damage them when fitting because they have a wired bead, which means that you mustn't fold them during shipping and you need a a correct technique to get them over the rim, i.e. no excessive lever force.

I can help you with the letter from Schwalbe. What they're saying is that they don't deal directly with end customers, so you must take it back to your dealer, who will give you a new one. I don't see any reason to be disappointed with that reply, and it's not a reason not to buy another one.
Tyres were fitted by hand pressure only, I understand Shwalbe response to this but I have had many many makes of tyres on my ebike before and never experienced this problem

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
Why aren't you answering the important question I am asking? We have had your anti-Schwalbe rant and yet as an "engineer" we aren't getting the facts, that is a sure way of annoying people...

This is Michelin tyre with 3600+ km and 12 months old the side wall has failed, the front tyre is as new minus a bit of rubber and in the spare parts bin. So I do know what I am talking about.

I am not married to Schwalbe, don't have stock in the company etc. etc. and started using their products in June 2016. Before that I have been in contact with many different brands including no name Chinese which have exploded or really had major sidewall failures. My goal is to get to the root cause.

Can we have more facts please?
FACTS as I have already said I have have had many many makes on the same ebike and never had tyre failures like this! WHY are you so rude!!?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Because you are not answering one very simple important question to get to the root cause, that is why.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
You are clearly not grasping this properly and are jumping to conclusions, I worked in engineering and fault finding all my life so I am not stupid in these aspects of things I just wanted other peoples experiences regarding tyre problems like this especially Shwalbe as I have had other makes over the years with no problems!! If you choose to look properly there are pics on and off the rim in the post of both the front and rear wheels and the front is a Plus and the rear is a Plus Tour
Hi, speaking for myself, I've had not had this or any similar issues with the Schwalbes I've had and would probably buy from them again.

Clearly you seem to think, perhaps with your background for fault finding, that it's a bigger issue than Schwalbe seem to think. Out of curiosity, what would you have liked the response from them to have been? Happy new year by the way. :)

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
Hi, speaking for myself, I've had not had this or any similar issues with the Schwalbes I've had and would probably buy from them again.

Clearly you seem to think, perhaps with your background for fault finding, that it's a bigger issue than Schwalbe seem to think. Out of curiosity, what would you have liked the response from them to have been? Happy new year by the way. :)
Again after buying many makes for the same bike I have never experienced this problem before and in less than 12 months

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Again after buying many makes for the same bike I have never experienced this problem before and in less than 12 months
Would you accept them being replaced, like for like? You could try asking them and see what they come back with. Maybe they'll see your point, if you outline your background, and make you a more acceptable offer than an explanation.

Advertisers