smaller person

David Grant

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
morayshire
why is it so hard to find a women's mountain bike with frame size 16" lol my mrs is 5 foot 1 inch and we are looking for a full suspension electric mountain bike at a reasonable price below £1200.
anyone got any recommendations?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: David Grant

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
mountain bike ... full suspension ..... electric .... below £1200.
anyone got any recommendations?
Yes. Revise your expectations :)

Lots around here won't like/agree what I'm going to say, but many in the mountain biking community seem to have a rough and ready rule of thumb that says to buy a 'quality' (whatever that means!) setup, you're looking around £1000 start price for a bike, then its around £1000 extra if its an e version, and its also £1000 extra if you want decent full suspension.

Ok, so there is a fair bit of leeway in that, but if you check the RRP of the mainstream bikes, its not far off.
So for £1200 all in .... well its not going to happen unless you are going to seriously compromise somewhere. Woosh's suggestion of an ok hardtail and a kit is probably very sensible. Bear in mind that cheap suspension is often a total waste of time. So either you don't really need full suspension so forget the idea, or if you genuinely do, then you are going to have to spend a whole lot more money to get something that actually does what you need it to do!

David Grant

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
morayshire
went with the build my own advice

ordered all this tonight thanks all,i'll let you guys know how i get on.

Muddyfox Dakota 26" Ladies Dual Suspension Bike with 16-inch steel frame
1 x Bafang BBS01B 36V 350W Mid Drive Motor Kit
Gear Shift Sensor Include Gear Shift Sensor
LCD Display C965
1 x Hailong-3 36V 14.5Ah Lithium Ion Frame Battery 29E Samsung Cells

Pmc1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2018
Wirral
My wife is 5'1" and we've just converted her cannondale jekyll full,suspension bike intoman e bike.
She bought her bike over 10 years ago and it was £1400 then.
She has a 14 and a half inch frame and a sixteen would be too big for her - as in stand over height.
There wasn't enough room in the frame, or under it for the battery so it's mounted on a specially made rear rack, not ideal but it works.
We converted this bike because we already had it.
Otherwise it would have been buy a hardtail and use that.
Good luck in your search.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSCF0257.JPG
;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there may not enough space inside the triangle to fit the Hailong battery. You need at least 20mm above and in front of the battery to take it out, and 50mm from the bottom bracket to avoid the chainrings. The dimensions of the HL battery are 310mm (L) x 92mm (H) x 100mm (W).
This Muddyfox has better arrangement for the HL battery. The frame is not bad but the the quality of the suspension is poor:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
ordered all this tonight thanks all,i'll let you guys know how i get on.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I can't help thinking you should have asked a few more questions before placing your order. Is the bottom bracket on the bike suitable for the Bafang drive? Will my battery fit this frame? Most of us builders have already made ALOT of mistakes with our builds and it's a dreadful feeling when you see someone repeating them. If it was me I would cancel your orders if you can and do a bit more research.

David Grant

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
morayshire
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I can't help thinking you should have asked a few more questions before placing your order. Is the bottom bracket on the bike suitable for the Bafang drive? Will my battery fit this frame? Most of us builders have already made ALOT of mistakes with our builds and it's a dreadful feeling when you see someone repeating them. If it was me I would cancel your orders if you can and do a bit more research.
bottom bracket is standard size and battery if it wont go in will be underslung like mine below

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Sorry David, I had no idea you had already built your own bike. Battery looks fine mounted like that. Do you have any problems with contact between battery and tyre?

Related Articles

Advertisers