Just Joined
Jul 13, 2010
Reviewer: Dyno

Purchased From: The Electric Transport Shop

Purchase Price: £999.99

Time Owned:6 weeks

Local Terrain: Very Hilly

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths: Im an 18 stone man so any hills will be a challenge for an electric bike. Im pleased to say the Smarta GT has proved its up to the challenge in my eyes. In all but the steepest hills the pedalelec provides great assistance so getting up those hills is a doddle. No sweating when cycling to the station which is up a big hill now.
The battery also seems to live up to its promises. Yesterday I went on a 30+ mile ride and the battery indicator only stopped showing Full (Has 4 bars to show battery level) during the last few miles.

Weaknesses:
I don't find the Smarta as responsive as my Hybrid bike. Its a big bike with weight. (My friend likens it to a Harley Davidson of the push bike world)Although the electric assistance makes pedalling easy, the large tyres, front shocks and longer length make handling less responsive. Its seems to be a bike thats best going in a straight line rather than weaving about.
I have taken it offroad on dirt tracks a few times. I dont feel a secure as on my hybrid and I beleive the mudguards make the rattling noise. It did do everything I asked of it though.
I've had problems getting the brakes properly responsive. The rear set origionally wouldnt adjust properly but the Electric Transport shop were great. They sent me a new brake set in the post to try and also (As I dont live near their shops) offered to pay the cost to get an alternative bike shop to resolve the issues which I thought was very nice. However im slowly learning how to adjust them at their best myself.

Summary: Overall its a great bike. Im tending to want to take it out rather than my Hybrid bike. Even for bike rides with friends. It has a Pedelec with 3 levels. I tend to put it on the first level most of the time so I can provide some of the effort. (Although not much needed). The third level allows me to fly along at 15 mph with no effort along mostly flat roads. (Even with a strong headwind)
When coasting next to friends I use the Throttle to keep at the same speed as them or the pedelec will zoom me off away from them when I start peddling. The controls are easy to use on the handlebars.
When the bike arrived by courier from the Electric Transport Shop, almost everything was setup. Just needed to put the handlebars on (Instructions given) then charge the battery. (Very easy)
The bike only has 6 gears and its sometimes frustrating when you get to 15mph and want another gear to possibly go faster. However if you try to exceed this its a challenge with no more electric assistance. Suggest you use the bike to take it easy and not exceed the 15mph limit.
The battery takes around 4 hours to charge full on average.
Also, give security a thought. I purchased a Kryptonite New York D lock and 7 foot Kryptonite cable to go through seat and battery handle and front wheel.

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 9