still not to sure what to make of bosch ebike system

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If hub motors are so good why are respected big-named manufacturers such as Bosch, Yamaha, Panasonic and Shimano producing crank motor systems at all? Why aren't they making hub motors?
They often do. Panasonic make a superb very high torque rear hub motor which some German and Austrian makers have fitted, and they have also made a range of average power front hub motors, including one that is also an electronic brake.

The previous Shimano STEPS system was a hub motor one.

Fashion is an important element. Having been around e-bikes for decades I've seen it swing between crank and hub motors more than once. Currently it's a crank drive period, but in the mid 2000s they all but disappeared with hub motors dominating.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
The bike weighs 22.3kg as far as I can find out. The motor and battery weighs 6.4kg. If it were a non electric bike it would weigh 15.9kg. My Marin Muirwoods commuter weighed 19kg. The Hardseven could be lighter but would cost much more because of the components required. One can dream :)
Having stripped it to a bare frame and motor for transport I think the frame is very heavy, the fork is maybe 1.5 - 2kg heavier than a good Rockshok. The wheels aren't too bad and the rest really is diminishing returns.

• Informative
Reactions: Emo Rider and Woosh
D

Deleted member 4366

Weight is a big factor; however, it's a lot easier to lose weight from the rider than the bike. Without too much effort, I lost 20kg since Xmas and I'm on my way to another 20kg before the end of the year. Each 1kg I lose, means I have to pedal 1% less hard on my road bike. I can really feel the difference. Now, I can go up moderate hills without even using the small chainring.

To save weight from the bike costs about £500 per kg. Saving weight from the rider saves about £20 per kg.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
hi all I am trying to compare the bosch to what I have tried hafords Carrera crossfire and mtb and my subway with tdz mid drive 60nm.
so today tried the same 2 hills I used to dem the Halfords bikes which I believe are ts but hub moter and have tried with tdz.
tried the bosch in turbo and the 34 largest rear ,but still find I slow to almost a crawl as I near the brow of the hill power bar I think was at the highest level.

as regards throttle I went out again and tried some other hills not done since last year on tdz as I was finding it a bit harder going tried the throttle but it sounded like the moter was labouring a bit so back to pas.

on saterday I spoke to someone who owned a whisper 905se (not 2 modes on this model apparently) who was well pleased with it and did a few mountains in spain.

basicasic

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
Amsterdam
hi all I am trying to compare the bosch to what I have tried hafords Carrera crossfire and mtb and my subway with tdz mid drive 60nm.
so today tried the same 2 hills I used to dem the Halfords bikes which I believe are ts but hub moter and have tried with tdz.
tried the bosch in turbo and the 34 largest rear ,but still find I slow to almost a crawl as I near the brow of the hill power bar I think was at the highest level.

as regards throttle I went out again and tried some other hills not done since last year on tdz as I was finding it a bit harder going tried the throttle but it sounded like the moter was labouring a bit so back to pas.

on saterday I spoke to someone who owned a whisper 905se (not 2 modes on this model apparently) who was well pleased with it and did a few mountains in spain.
Matt on GCN rode a Giant road e-bike recently in the Dolomites to great effect. Have you thought of one of those? I'm joking of course but only to make my point that what someone else can do on a particular bike is mainly irrelevant.

I just wonder if any legal electric bike will be capable of doing what you want to do (which seems to be go up steep hills at speed with little effort).

Maybe fitting one of those megs-hub type motors (shown recently in this thread) to an existing bike might be an answer though I guess range could be a problem.

Or stop flogging a dead horse and just buy a moped.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I just wonder if any legal electric bike will be capable of doing what you want to do (which seems to be go up steep hills at speed with little effort).
yes, plenty.

He only needs a higher torque multiplier on his Bosch bike.
Any bike that has a higher multiplier factor than 3 or is not limited to a fixed factor can potentially solve his problem.

Reactions: Danidl

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
D8VEH, You forgot about the cost of a whole new wardrobe of clothes after you lose 40 kg - most impressive you are to be highly congratulated. Your next challenge is to keep that weight off after your valiant initial success. Really well done!

Reactions: Emo Rider
D

Deleted member 4366

D8VEH, You forgot about the cost of a whole new wardrobe of clothes after you lose 40 kg - most impressive you are to be highly congratulated. Your next challenge is to keep that weight off after your valiant initial success. Really well done!
Luckily, probably like many people, I kept all my clothes that were too small as I got fatter and fatter, always dreaming that the fatness was a temporary thing, I have several bags in the loft. I'm now back to my size and weight of 1988. Unfortunately, when I lose more, I'll be back to the '70s, which means flared trousers and wide collars. After that, it's tie-died T-shirts and bell-bottoms.

Is anybody else sill keeping their old too small clothes in the hope that they'll be wearing them again?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is anybody else sill keeping their old too small clothes in the hope that they'll be wearing them again?
I did and it paid off in the same way. My weight ranged up to 12 stones in the days when they were the way we measured, but these days a little over 10 stones (64 kilos).

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
Luckily, probably like many people, I kept all my clothes that were too small as I got fatter and fatter, always dreaming that the fatness was a temporary thing, I have several bags in the loft. I'm now back to my size and weight of 1988. Unfortunately, when I lose more, I'll be back to the '70s, which means flared trousers and wide collars. After that, it's tie-died T-shirts and bell-bottoms.

I was issued with a RAF College Cranwell Sports Blazer in 1966 when I gained a cadetship. I still have it. I was 15st 7 in 2014 and came down to 11st 7 later that year - deliberately. I am still that weight now and my blazer fits perfectly - I was 20 when issued, 71 now

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaz

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

... Which proves what?... If you Have been following all this thread you will note that a person's weight, fitness level, bike gearing, wind speeds, the type of stance on the bike as well as attitude will all affect how much useful power they can put in and extract from the bike and whether they are satisfied or not with their performance.

Reactions: chris_n

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the OP is typical of many of my customers.
They collect lots of bits of information but they are all jumbled up.
He is still unclear how to get more / the most out of it beside getting fitter.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

... Who knows maybe they will be the height of fashion again and congrats by the way a very impressive result.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
The OP would be better suited to a cadence sensing system rather than a torque sensing,i have both and find the cadence system more enjoyable but you have to use the correct gears.

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
"Is anybody else sill keeping their old too small clothes in the hope that they'll be wearing them again?"
Still got 4 pairs of levis 501 @30" waist, now I'm 33" waist so still a way to go must try and cut down soon before I'm sixty and look stupid in them:(

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
ok today first mentioned hill turbo 10mph 30t rear power meter at top.
went up ok
one thing I am not sure about I was in tour approaching a slight rise in the road and increased cadence and pushed harder, thinking I was getting the most power in tour mode.
the power /battery graph was about half way.
on the flat in eco peddling hard I can get to 15 mph cutoff but graph is right at the top?
got some nice cycling tops,but as these always seem to show up the slightest of beer bellies, I don't wear them anymore.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you could try a dongle then you wont have a speed limit ;)

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing