Storck Raddar Multitask

Reviewer: Jimmythe1

Purchased From: Valley Scooters, Bolton

Purchase Price: 2899.00

Time Owned:2 weeks

Local Terrain: Very Hilly

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths:
Excellent frame, build quality, smooth electric assistance, balloon tyres, fun to ride!
Weaknesses:
Battery level indicator levels erratic, handlebar control lights give no information. The mudguards are both too short to be totally effective.
Summary:
A capable hybrid bike in its own right, the electric power is smoothly delivered with good step-less control over the assistance available.
Overall Rating (out of 10) : 8

A short summary of why the Storck was selected may be useful. This is the first pedelec I have owned. Several different makes and models were test ridden before opting for the Storck. I was looking for a bike that wouldn't be too compromised when used without power. It needed to work well off-road on cycle paths canal towpaths and not too gnarly bridle paths.The Storck has a smooth drive delivery through the rear wheel motor and since I already ride quite a lot and intended to supply a fair amount of pedal power as well I felt this type of drive worked best for me.

The specification of the Storck is good with Shimano Deore 27 speed gears and Deore hydraulic brakes. The frame build quality is excellent. The balloon tyres on 700c rims meant that I didn’t feel the need for front suspension, although the frame is front suspension compatible.The bike rides well - with the same feel as many normal hybrid/mountain bikes I have ridden. The balloon tyres and 700c rims make it roll easily on off-road cycle paths with a large degree of shock absorption.

The step-less handlebar mounted motor controller works well in combination with the torque sensor in the drive train. The only major criticism I have is of the information on battery level and motor power input. The battery level is indicated by 5 LED’s on the side of the battery operated by pressing an adjacent button, this means you have to stop to find out how much charge is left. The indicators don’t seem to accurately reflect the battery usage either. There are three LED indicators on the motor controller on the handlebar which I understand are supposed to reflect the power the motor is delivering - however they haven’t even wavered on any of the rides I have done. It would be more satisfactory to have a handlebar mounted LCD display showing battery level and power input such as those I have seen on other (cheaper) bikes.

I have so far used the Storck for four long rides as well as some short rides around home totaling about 160 miles.

As a guide to range I have travelled up to 37 miles with 670 metres of climbing using a single battery without fully discharging the battery. I’ve also done a circuit of 42 miles with a 1050 metres of climbing over the Woodhead Pass and back over Holme Moss. - using two batteries - changing to the second on Holme Moss before the first battery was fully discharged. There was a distinct increase of climbing power with the new battery.

I intend to update this review after a longer period of use.

Hi Nigel,

I'm glad you liked the bike and thank you for your comments here.

Regarding the information from the led's on the controller: I have run this past the tech guys at Storck in Germany and will get back to you. It is not effecting the performance of the bike, more the information you should be getting from the 3 led's.

I will keep you posted. In the mean time, enjoy your riding.

Kind regards,
Ian Hughes