Swytch Pro/Max yellow battery connector secrets revealed?

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
There’s a genuine Swytch charger on ebay currently WITH the correct OD connector (currently £12ish buyitnow). Search for “SWYTCH E Bike 2A Charger Adapter New Official Genuine In Box”

Tipidave1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 2, 2024
Iwould like to use my original gen 1 10.2 Ah battery and wire it into the gen 3 mount. Does anyone know how to get the output terminals to go live without connecting it to the original gen 1 controller? I have tried shorting across the 'switch connector' battery.jpg

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I have no Swytch experience, just a dangerous amount of curiosity.

I would be looking at the thing that plugs in to the switch connector, to work out what it does to switch the Swytch battery on... if not shorting out the wires (I'm assuming only 2 in that connector?), does it perhaps apply a voltage, and thereby operate a relay or other kind of switch? Or is it hokey pokey canny bussy?

If that is not possible, the only other option which is only suitable for the sufficiently careful is to open up the battery pack and see what is inside.

Tipidave1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 2, 2024
I have no Swytch experience, just a dangerous amount of curiosity.

I would be looking at the thing that plugs in to the switch connector, to work out what it does to switch the Swytch battery on... if not shorting out the wires (I'm assuming only 2 in that connector?), does it perhaps apply a voltage, and thereby operate a relay or other kind of switch? Or is it hokey pokey canny bussy?

If that is not possible, the only other option which is only suitable for the sufficiently careful is to open up the battery pack and see what is inside.
I am somewhat averse to just open and fiddle… rather hoping to gather some intel ir schematic first

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Iwould like to use my original gen 1 10.2 Ah battery and wire it into the gen 3 mount. Does anyone know how to get the output terminals to go live without connecting it to the original gen 1 controller? I have tried shorting across the 'switch connector' View attachment 56255
I'm no expert, but I would have thought "switch" might have been a clue.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I am somewhat averse to just open and fiddle… rather hoping to gather some intel ir schematic first
Fair enough. For me it depends on how easy it is to open, and whether there is a chance of a very simple answer once I can see inside.

I have to admit to having dismantled many more things than I have mantled.

Reactions: thelarkbox

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Fair enough. For me it depends on how easy it is to open, and whether there is a chance of a very simple answer once I can see inside.

I have to admit to having dismantled many more things than I have mantled.
how many things re - mantled didnt have bits left over??
#1 rule for dismantling.. Never use a box with bottom flaps to keep screws/washers in on a strip down as something will always find its way under one of the flaps only to be discovered weeks later..

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Iwould like to use my original gen 1 10.2 Ah battery and wire it into the gen 3 mount. Does anyone know how to get the output terminals to go live without connecting it to the original gen 1 controller? I have tried shorting across the 'switch connector' View attachment 56255
The Swytch mk1 has a switch next to the charge socket that switches the battery on and off. AFAICS, it's a momentary switch, which means the battery has a smart BMS controlled by a microprocessor. I've not seen that switch in the flesh, so I can't be certain.

The logical thing to do is take the screws out of the case and look inside, which should take less than two minutes, then you have your answer, and at the same time you can check the cell-pack voltages because it could be them that prevent switching on.

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
I’ve just finished modding my wife’s Swytch Max bike so she can have extra (non Swytch) batteries, and still use a Swytch pack if she likes for shorter journeys.
The transistor thing screwed to the back of the Swytch handlebar battery holder is a twin 30A schottky diode (number visible in photo). The red wire between the yellow top connector and the controller is cut, the yellow connector end is brought out to an outer leg of the schottky, and the controller end is brought out to the middle leg of the schottky. The black wire between the yellow top connector is T’ed into, and brought out to an XT60 connector. The + side of the XT60 connector is taken up to the other outer leg of the schottky. An additional battery pack can now be connected to the XT60 connector without fear of upsetting any batteries that may or may not be connected or which maybe in a different charge state.

Attachments

Reactions: WallyR and afzal