talk about a learning curve!!

Chuns

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 6, 2023
@saneagle Why are you telling me that now? I knew I could buy a battery at £200, but at the time I did not know that the fault lay with the battery, so it was a £200 gamble. Given the nature of my initial query I was looking for advice such as that, and it was not forthcoming.

And I'm not sure what to make of your "they are not as competitive as you thought" comment.

My view on their competitiveness was to do with the other such businesses I contacted, not with myself. It is unrealistic to expect a business to be the same cost as DiY. The extra £70 including diagnostic and return postage is a good deal to me.

Do you know the story of the householder who was outraged at a plumber's bill of £50 to fix a tap washer? He said it was outrageous to charge to much especially as he only took half an hour, and the tap washer can't have been more than 20p.

The plumber re-submitted his invoice. It read..
To...
Supply and fit tap washer to leaky tap - £10
Knowing how to fit tap washer - £40
You only know what you know.

@StuartsProjects, they replaced all the cells, apparently the replacements upgraded the battery to 36v/42v 9Ah

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
@saneagle .......but at the time I did not know that the fault lay with the battery, so it was a £200 gamble. ......
You make a fair point - we all have different skills and knowledge levels and the path you took was understandable IMHO.

Do you know the story of the householder who was outraged at a plumber's bill of £50 to fix a tap washer? He said it was outrageous to charge to much especially as he only took half an hour, and the tap washer can't have been more than 20p.

The plumber re-submitted his invoice. It read..
To...
Supply and fit tap washer to leaky tap - £10
Knowing how to fit tap washer - £40
You only know what you know.
Love it and oh so true.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
@saneagle Why are you telling me that now? I knew I could buy a battery at £200, but at the time I did not know that the fault lay with the battery, so it was a £200 gamble. Given the nature of my initial query I was looking for advice such as that, and it was not forthcoming.
I always advocate that people find the fault before wasting money on buying stuff.

I was giving you guidance. I thought that you'd be able to follow my guidance because you said that you were "adept and practical". I gave you a schematic and told you where to check. If you had done the check, you'd have found exactly what was wrong, then you could have chosen the appropriate solution.

What you said above is extremely disingenuous and ungrateful for the time and effort I put in to try to help you, but, like many others, you always think you know better and pay the price. Good luck.

One final point. You said that you swapped the battery off the good bike and it didn't work. How can you explain that it's working now with a good battery and it didn't before?

Last edited:

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
It's not a fair point. see my post above. If he didn't understand, he could have asked.
I was just trying to be kind - no point in rubbing a fellah's nose in it is there and we each have views on what is a sensible route to take in life.

@Chuns - now you have a good battery, don't forget some simple housekeeping between now and Spring such as don't store it fully charged (somewhere around the 60-70% level), don't let it go flat (below say 31v) and don't charge in temperatures approaching or below zero degC

Reactions: Woosh

Chuns

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 6, 2023
Thanks, @Bikes4two, I'll be sure to observe those guidelines.

@saneagle, I'm not going to get into a snarling match with you - however there is a context that is relevant - directly after my observation about my practical skills, I was clear to say "many areas where my knowledge is zero, electronics and anything that isn't 240v being a prime example." I looked at what you sent, and because of my shortcoming in that area, I could not see anything that I interpreted as something I was going to be able to use.

You ask "How can you explain that it's working now with a good battery and it didn't before?" Here I am at fault for not being rigorous enough in my testing, and not thorough enough in explaining it all.

When I did the battery swap, I swapped the 'good' battery into the 'bad' bike, and the 'bad' battery turned on, I didn’t test it so assumed it was OK. I was making the classic mistake of starting with the solution not the problem (I had decided the controller was at fault and was trying to establish which one). Much later I tried it again and it was dead. I assumed all the battery did was to supply the volts, and that the odd display was the province of the controller. From the start to finish was a number of weeks, with the intense activity only about the time I sought help here. My fault. Sorry.

I know more now.

Again, I’m happy to thank all who have helped, these fora are a great source of information and help, and respect is due to all who have knowledge and are prepared to share it.

Kind regards,

Peter

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
@StuartsProjects, they replaced all the cells, apparently the replacements upgraded the battery to 36v/42v 9Ah
Good.

If 26 of the cells had failed, then do not be surprised if the remaining 4 were very close to fail as well.

However, I can understand that you could test the banks of 3 and thus say 27 of the cells were faulty, but it was only 26, so that would suggest that each individual battery was removed from its welds and tested. A lot of work.