Nov 26, 2021
Mine were perfect just needed a rub down and respray

The black contrasts the white wheels
You have patience I can only dream of!

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
So again you have to take it but not give it
I don't think anyone has set out to be rude to you. Someone asked you a question which you have interpreted as rude but I think that's your interpretation rather than the thing they've posted.

You are the person who has come over as rude here.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh and Az.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I'll add. Just for interest.

I'd use Ciret Masq Purple low tack masking tape. Toolstation sell that or tesa yellow tape on a wheel.
Frog tape is also good and the only tape with polymer beads (Powder) on edge which is why it comes in plastic case. Frog yellow is best as green sticks too well for most jobs.
Those tapes should stay on for 30+ days and come off easy.
The standard production tape that's baige, most of use can stick too well, and although some is rated at 3 days many pull cheap tapes same day because of the rubber glue high stick.
As for wheel get it clean. I'd use meths or alcohol to clean then don't touch metal unless you got gloves on.
I always warm spray cans in hot water. Stand until shaking don't change the spray can temperature as paint mixes.
Get the can warm paint sprays lovely with the warmed resins and the lowered viscosity.

Great job. Wheel looks good. All about the appearance. We like nice looking things..

Oh. Edit.
Liquid masking. Paint on. Dries. Peal off. I wonder if that would be easier on a wheel instead of masking tape. I've never tried. Used on windows. Handles. All sorts.
Paint on rim and inside hub. That must be a tricky spot

Last edited:
Reactions: robert44 and Woosh

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I am loud :)
Spokey Dokes are the answer to that.

Who sees it when you are whizzing by?
The only important person. Yourself. Pride taken in the stuff you have. Basic maintenance.

I thought this was rude

"May I ask what was the purpose of this exercise? To me it looks like a lot of unnecessary work. "
I didnt look at it as that. I took it more as a query as to what the problem was so a suggestion could have been made.,
Is it due to corrosion ?. What kind of paint. If the spokes are rusted, simple paint isnt really going to be anything other than a short lived cosmetic job.
Cleaned down, a primer, then plasticote would have been better/ideal. Or if its going to present further issues then maybe a rebuild in stainless spokes might have saved a lot of work.

Questions like that.

In fact the type of questions and opinions someone with autism would ask.
You know how overly opinionated autistics are.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Spokey Dokes are the answer to that.

The only important person. Yourself. Pride taken in the stuff you have. Basic maintenance.

I didnt look at it as that. I took it more as a query as to what the problem was so a suggestion could have been made.,
Is it due to corrosion ?. What kind of paint. If the spokes are rusted, simple paint isnt really going to be anything other than a short lived cosmetic job.
Cleaned down, a primer, then plasticote would have been better/ideal. Or if its going to present further issues then maybe a rebuild in stainless spokes might have saved a lot of work.

Questions like that.

In fact the type of questions and opinions someone with autism would ask.
You know how overly opinionated autistics are.
What about increased weight and drag? It would be easy to get uneven thickness, one half of the wheel might be heavier, causing vibrations.

• :D
Reactions: esuark

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
What about increased weight and drag? It would be easy to get uneven thickness, one half of the wheel might be heavier, causing vibrations.
Its a bicycle, not a NASA spacecraft.

RogerA

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
There is often a weight difference between the spokes on each side of a wheel. Using single butted on the drive side and double butted on the non drive side is a good way of equalising tensions in cassette hubbed rear wheel.

Related Articles

Advertisers