The "death" of the car, (as we know it)

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
You have however piqued my curiosity.

Cheapest Leaf on ebay at the moment is £5 and a half K. Plus £70/month battery lease. Range of that model is 75 miles, on the days I need the car my mileage would be typically in the 60-80 mile range so I'm not seeing this as a practical option.
Interesting. Personally, we lease a Kia SoulEV at £190 pcm all in. That's for 6,000 miles pa over 3 years. It's good for 100 miles per charge. Seemed a no-brainer to me.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Interesting. Personally, we lease a Kia SoulEV at £190 pcm all in. That's for 6,000 miles pa over 3 years. It's good for 100 miles per charge. Seemed a no-brainer to me.
That's a good price..sounds an attractive option...would help negate guilt from driving other car...

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
That's a good price..sounds an attractive option...would help negate guilt from driving other car...
It's just got better.
Hire term: 24 months(6+23 monthly payments)
Miles per annum: 8,000
Total miles: 16,000
Offer valid until:31/10/17

https://www.drive-electric.co.uk/vehicles/kia-soul-ev-lease/

List Price New:£30,439 NEDC range:155 miles
Estimated ‘real world’ range:130 miles
The car has a full 7 year warranty, including the battery

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Think its £6k ish...still a good deal...
No it's 6/23 which at £195 makes it £1170 up front followed by 23 payments of £195 or £4875 for two years of motoring with a brand new car. No Tax, No Fuel and low insurance. We've had ours since last March done just over 3,000 miles and it's just fine. I get my thrills with an Audi A8 RS, but that's another story.

If the 24 months doesn't suit there are plenty of options, just need to ask.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Hard to be accurate with this question, we feel that it was less expensive than the Honda Jazz we replaced. Insurance is personal, easy enough to get a quote?
I agree with you but for my use I think I,d need a little more range...Our most common journey is 160 miles , with no charging at destination ( a beach)...I,d want a little safety margin...when pure electric is available with 200 miles I,ll get one...but mentioned deal is good..
Having said that I,m in Spain at moment just paid £55 a week for hire car...Had to leave £950 on credit but have a £39 a year policy to cover that...( Crap car mind, a Citroen Elysee..Its awful.) But cant fault price...

PS. I know there are pure e cars with over 200...( Tesla S, which is incredible) but at £50k second hand its a bit self defeating..

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Fellas, you don't need to charge at home. How often do you fuel your I.C.E. car at home? You just need a charging station nearby.
That's true, but I don't think there are any near my house, my work or on the route between but there are several petrol stations. There are I think a few charging points in the centre of Cambridge but it would be a significant faff to go and charge it up there.

Eventually I guess if EV's become more common there will be more convenient charging points but we're definitely not there yet around these parts.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
I agree with you but for my use I think I,d need a little more range...Our most common journey is 160 miles , with no charging at destination ( a beach)...I,d want a little safety margin...when pure electric is available with 200 miles I,ll get one...but mentioned deal is good..
Having said that I,m in Spain at moment just paid £55 a week for hire car...Had to leave £950 on credit but have a £39 a year policy to cover that...( Crap car mind, a Citroen Elysee..Its awful.) But cant fault price...

PS. I know there are pure e cars with over 200...( Tesla S, which is incredible) but at £50k second hand its a bit self defeating..
You're right 'Range Anxiety' is very real and for our use not a problem. It is strictly a second car used for the daily commute 5 miles. The other thing I forgot was free parking for electric cars (normal monthly season ticket = £94.00). Dundee is well served with charging points, at least four in every council car park plus plenty of others dotted around the place. Again, all free to use and park. Can just imagine the reaction on the other thread.

• :D
Reactions: Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Fellas, you don't need to charge at home. How often do you fuel your I.C.E. car at home? You just need a charging station nearby.
Not so, I've gone deeply into this. First take the real world charge of your chosen e-car in any circumstance, it's way lower than the makers claim. Then consider a fast change station only charges to 80%. Then deduct the round trip to the charging station and deduct that too. Then consider that as the battery ages the range drops by 25% eventually, so knock another 20% of the makers range off to assess the practicality over time.

What's left is ridiculous, one's life would consist of incessant trips to the charging station with between half and three quarters of an hour hanging around each time while the "fast" charge took place.

For example I had the chance of a low cost Nissan Leaf with battery owned. Claimed range 110 miles, but just over 70 miles in moderate daytime conditions when independently tested. In adverse circumstances like cold and wet winter, traffic etc, even Nissan admit it can drop to around 60 miles. Now knock off 20% to account for the charge only being to 80%, so those figures become 56 and 48 miles. Now knock off another 20% of those start figures for battery ageing over time and I'm left with 42 and 36 miles for the two circumstances.

Despite being in a London borough my nearest fast changing station is 7 miles away, so the 14 mile round trip to knock off,leaving me with 28 and 22 miles for my use in the two circumstances with an ageing battery and countless hundreds of hours of my life lost in excess travel and charging time. And I've spent more than an i/c car costs to suffer that!

No, charging at home is essential.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and ttxela

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
I agree.

So really an EV is only an option for those relatively wealthy or fortunate enough to be able to park on their own ground adjacent to their house at least.
Well well - you are right of course in much the same way that solar energy is being touted and heavily subsidised by the poor. Gets even worse if you consider the Wind Turbines...

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Not so, I've gone deeply into this. First take the real world charge of your chosen e-car in any circumstance, it's way lower than the makers claim. Then consider a fast change station only charges to 80%. Then deduct the round trip to the charging station and deduct that too. Then consider that as the battery ages the range drops by 25% eventually, so knock another 20% of the makers range off to assess the practicality over time.

What's left is ridiculous, one's life would consist of incessant trips to the charging station with between half and three quarters of an hour hanging around each time while the "fast" charge took place.

For example I had the chance of a low cost Nissan Leaf with battery owned. Claimed range 110 miles, but just over 70 miles in moderate daytime conditions when independently tested. In adverse circumstances like cold and wet winter, traffic etc, even Nissan admit it can drop to around 60 miles. Now knock off 20% to account for the charge only being to 80%, so those figures become 56 and 48 miles. Now knock off another 20% of those start figures for battery ageing over time and I'm left with 42 and 36 miles for the two circumstances.

Despite being in a London borough my nearest fast changing station is 7 miles away, so the 14 mile round trip to knock off,leaving me with 28 and 22 miles for my use in the two circumstances with an ageing battery and countless hundreds of hours of my life lost in excess travel and charging time. And I've spent more than an i/c car costs to suffer that!

Different people have different circumstances, so in this case generalisation is not valuable. The fundamental difference between electric and ice cars is the time taken to fully replenish the energy. In ice it takes 5 minutes, in electric 5 hrs? . Home charging , over night, must be the preferred mode. The difference is decreasing, but ices have still the edge on range and were it necessary, the range can be doubled by spending 30£ on a few jerrycans.

Not everyone is rich who lives in the suburbs and has access to off road parking. Not everyone is poor who lives in a flat in London, without parking rights... But convience is king, and the scenario that flecc has identified would be daft.
For anyone living in the suburbs, with access to off road parking, EVs make a lot of sense.
For people living in the deepest rural area, they don't, and the pollution from the land rover is negligible, when there is tiny traffic....

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee

Not if you live in Dundee, or, in our case, within range. Certainly, you need to be sure that if you have such a car that it will fit your purpose. In our case with regular short journeys it's ideal.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Well well - you are right of course in much the same way that solar energy is being touted and heavily subsidised by the poor. Gets even worse if you consider the Wind Turbines...
... If this is a comment about the fact that poorer people don't have access to credit, and therefore cannot invest, when I can agree... However the mobile phone companies and sky have a model that works .... In the short term it is cheaper to buy a 20£ convection heater and then spend 40 pence per hour on electricity...
If it is an argument that these forms of renewable energy are playthings for the rich... Cop on that phase has passed . We have already discussed this to death, and economics and engineering has won.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
... If this is a comment about the fact that poorer people don't have access to credit, and therefore cannot invest, when I can agree... However the mobile phone companies and sky have a model that works .... In the short term it is cheaper to buy a 20£ convection heater and then spend 40 pence per hour on electricity...
If it is an argument that these forms of renewable energy are playthings for the rich... Cop on that phase has passed . We have already discussed this to death, and economics and engineering has won.
More of a throwaway line really, in response to #34. There can be little doubt that ownership of EV's are heavily subsidised at present but in exactly the same way that generation of power, certainly from wind farms has worked economically, so too will EV's and the need for 'enticements' will cease I assume. However, I do think it is still the case that EV's are the preserve of the better off but the humble Kia Soul EV begins to address the imbalance - simply because they can't sell them, people don't like the way they look, the price has come down.

Wind Turbines can be interesting, especially when they are installed 'privately' we have a Michelin tyre factory that generates its own power. So much so they they hardly use the national grid. Good, very good in one way, but that still leaves the rest of us paying whatever we pay.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
More of a throwaway line really, in response to #34. There can be little doubt that ownership of EV's are heavily subsidised at present but in exactly the same way that generation of power, certainly from wind farms has worked economically, so too will EV's and the need for 'enticements' will cease I assume. However, I do think it is still the case that EV's are the preserve of the better off but the humble Kia Soul EV begins to address the imbalance - simply because they can't sell them, people don't like the way they look, the price has come down.

Wind Turbines can be interesting, especially when they are installed 'privately' we have a Michelin tyre factory that generates its own power. So much so they they hardly use the national grid. Good, very good in one way, but that still leaves the rest of us paying whatever we pay.
EVs are heavily encouraged at present with no congestion charges, with grant aid and in my country, reduced road tax and rebate on vehicle registration tax... Which is very high, as we have no employment in car manufacture to support. Economists call this "priming the pump" , and inevitably these encouragements will cease. Governments need to raise revenue somehow so once the honeymoon is over....
In the case of wind, that tipping point has been reached and they don't need additional encouragement and is closer to happening with solar voltaic. The cost per installed megawatt is comparable with older systems.. Regrettably, from a western perspective, we have left the initiative in PV with China.
In Scotland support for hydro ceased long ago, and fortunately you have an abundant supply...
Perhaps the next area for pump priming is in short term and medium term energy storage.

Last edited:

Advertisers