The "death" of the car, (as we know it)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As he said he has been wrong by a couple of years before. Both ways...
I noted that when listening, but his many of his exaggerations greatly exceed that allowance. He is a fantasist wishfully thinking what he would like to happen will happen more quickly than is conceivable.

His lecture reminds me of those given by gurus who promise the gullible who pay fees to listen that he can make them millionaires in no time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm an optimist by nature
So am I Peter, and I'm very receptive of most things future. Note my previous harsh comment regarding our inability to knock down old useless buildings on often silly grounds that they have architectural or historic merit.

I would love almost everything that man has said in his lecture to be true, most being highly desirable, but I know it can't and won't happen in the manner described. Our world is far too badly run for that to be remotely possible.

I retain my critical faculties at all times and don't let them lapse simply because I'd like what is said to be true. For me realism is too important to ignore.

• Agree
Reactions: PeterL and Danidl

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
So am I Peter, and I'm very receptive of most things future. Note my previous harsh comment regarding our inability to knock down old useless buildings on often silly grounds that they have architectural or historic merit.

I would love almost everything that man has said in his lecture to be true, most being highly desirable, but I know it can't and won't happen in the manner described. Our world is far too badly run for that to be remotely possible.

I retain my critical faculties at all times and don't let them lapse simply because I'd like what is said to be true. For me realism is too important to ignore.
Perfectly OK with that and can accept that that such speed of change would bring more than few problems of its own - there's a lot of unemployment within those figures which make much of it politically, unacceptable. but, change there will be, certainly in the US and I think his direction of travel is accurate.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
"These elements were radioactive when the earth was formed. They came from the supernova that produced all the elements on earth. The elements were produced by fusion in the star. The force of fusion was sufficient in the last stages of the supernova to produce the elements heavier than lead (e.g., uranium and thorium)."

Think its debatable.I think its still solar derived but I see your point.
We might be better leaving it there. Solar semantically means deriving from that specific blob of hydrogen and other stuff some 93 million miles away. Stellar means from any star... Supernova.. an end stage for some stars and that brilliant piece of observational science of the collision of two neutron stars some weeks ago, is now confirmed as a source for a number of the heavy elements . But we have seriously veered off topic...

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
We might be better leaving it there. Solar semantically means deriving from that specific blob of hydrogen and other stuff some 93 million miles away. Stellar means from any star... Supernova.. an end stage for some stars and that brilliant piece of observational science of the collision of two neutron stars some weeks ago, is now confirmed as a source for a number of the heavy elements . But we have seriously veered off topic...
Pie in the sky- perhaps?

Reactions: Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think his direction of travel is accurate.
I'm quite sure that's true and most will be welcome. Some will be so far away in time from his predictions that it makes those utterances pointless. Some of his predictions relating to cars are undesirable in my view since he hasn't widened his vision sufficiently, seeing us still needing to travel about in cars all the time.

Our obsession with incessant travelling is a very new and brief phenomenon and very wasteful and undesirable. With the one exception of a few being nomadic for regional climatic reasons, the human race has been very static over time, living out lives in villages or very small land zones.

The sooner we start to return as far as possible towards that end, the better, and progress should be aimed in that direction. At present too much progress is going the wrong way.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
I
At present too much progress is going the wrong way.
Not all bad, I said earlier "I will do short-term lease from now on, until I can call UBER to take me wherever. As an OAP, that really does change the future, and not just for me. It is empowering."

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not all bad, I said earlier "I will do short-term lease from now on, until I can call UBER to take me wherever. As an OAP, that really does change the future, and not just for me. It is empowering."
I noted that and saw the desirability for you.

But UBER is part of the problem I mentioned, it makes possible even more travel. Empowering something undesirable.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
I noted that and saw the desirability for you.

But UBER is part of the problem I mentioned, it makes possible even more travel. Empowering something undesirable.
Irrespective of whether or not it is Uber how can you possibly be so single-minded as not to appreciate the value in facilitating the elderly by allowing them to travel door to door easily? I might add I'm not ready just yet, but my neighbours certainly are.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
I'm quite sure that's true and most will be welcome. Some will be so far away in time from his predictions that it makes those utterances pointless. Some of his predictions relating to cars are undesirable in my view since he hasn't widened his vision sufficiently, seeing us still needing to travel about in cars all the time.

Our obsession with incessant travelling is a very new and brief phenomenon and very wasteful and undesirable. With the one exception of a few being nomadic for regional climatic reasons, the human race has been very static over time, living out lives in villages or very small land zones.

The sooner we start to return as far as possible towards that end, the better, and progress should be aimed in that direction. At present too much progress is going the wrong way.
This is quite radical in my view., just a touch backward facing - but you're joking of course. It would take a nuclear war that just about wiped out the planet to take us back a few thousand or so years for that to happen. Put another way no one would want that I'm sure, except you perhaps. We like our technology, love to travel to see and feel different cultures - no way!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Irrespective of whether or not it is Uber how can you possibly be so single-minded as not to appreciate the value in facilitating the elderly by allowing them to travel door to door easily? I might add I'm not ready just yet, but my neighbours certainly are.
I'm speaking of general direction of progress, not individual cases.

You might instead ask what causes much of the frequency and duration of such travel. The wider view in the interests of this planet's future.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
I'm speaking of general direction of progress, not individual cases.

You might instead ask what causes much of the frequency and duration of such travel. The wider view in the interests of this planet's future.
I think the argument has already been made for the success of the Uber business model? It reduces the number of journeys and the need for as many cars significantly.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is quite radical in my view., just a touch backward facing - but you're joking of course. It would take a nuclear war that just about wiped out the planet to take us back a few thousand or so years for that to happen. Put another way no one would want that I'm sure, except you perhaps. We like our technology, love to travel to see and feel different cultures - no way!
That's an extreme reaction, I'm clearly not asking to return to the past, just aiming for one desirable factor from that past, as I said, as far as possible.

And nothing of what I posted denies us technology, we can continue to enjoy most of it just as frequently but with travel reduced in scale, but that remaining not merely just as enjoyable but even more so. Wouldn't you relish emptier roads and airports?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think the argument has already been made for the success of the Uber business model? It reduces the number of journeys and the need for as many cars significantly.
Tell London, we've banned UBER, removing their licence to operate. UBER no longer exists here.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
And nothing of what I posted denies us technology, we can continue to enjoy most of it just as frequently but with travel reduced in scale, but that remaining not merely just as enjoyable but even more so. Wouldn't you relish emptier roads and airports?
Of course and we've seen the vision. Just need to add in the HS2 journey to take care of the longer distances, having gone to the station in an autonomous Uber vehicle. We need to go to the US once or twice a year with another trip to Australia. Next step is an 'Escape to the Country' but that is out of reach for most people?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't believe that to be the case at all.
They have been banned, licence removed and were put out of action for a while. They've now used the device of appealing at law to be able to resume operations meanwhile, pending the appeal outcome. Their CEO has apologised to TfL for the probeklms they've been causing that led to the ban, but TfL are contesting the appeal since UBER hasn't and cannot solve all the problems.

Whether you believe this or not is immaterial, it's fact.

Last edited:

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
They have been banned, licence removed and were put out of action for a while. They've now used the device of appealing at law to be able to resume operations meanwhile, pending the appeal outcome. Their CEO has apologised to TfL for the probeklms they've nbeen causing that led to the ban, but TfL are contesting the appeal since UBER hasn't and cannot solve all the problems.

Whether you believe this or not is immaterial, it's fact.
For what it is worth, you said - UBER no longer exists here. That is not a fact. Perhaps you would like to make one of your forecasts as to the position come the end of the year?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For what it is worth, you said - UBER no longer exists here. That is not a fact. Perhaps you would like to make one of your forecasts as to the position come the end of the year?
Given TfL's determination and the problems involved, theres a fair chance the appeal will be lost. However there are all sorts of possibilities, including the fact that when the USA wants its way in this country, it usually gets it.

Last edited:

Advertisers