The world may end on Saturday!.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
On Saturday, The Large Hadron Collider in Geneva will be switched on for the first time.

Nostradamus quatrain 9 44:

"Leave, leave Geneva every last one of you,
Saturn will be converted from gold to iron,
"Raypoz" will exterminate all who oppose him,
Before the coming the sky will show signs".

".......the architects of what is being termed a “Doomsday” machine, the U.S. Department of Energy, Fermilab, the National Science Foundation and CERN are being sued in federal court over fears that this experiment may in fact destroy the planet".

And if that doesn't do it, try this:

".......in sept 08 the lucifer project kicks in where nasa hope to turn saturn in to a star by by crashing a probe into it and they want to try and start a nuclear reaction on that planet, the effects of this on earth are unknown....."

Bye Bye!!

On the subject of big bangs, I'm sitting here waiting for that big orange "Dynamite" truck to arrive with my new Wisper.....hope I get a chance to ride it before we get vaporized.

Regards

Bob.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Oh dear!. I hope not

I suspect the people living close to the LHC will be more concerned with their lights dimming. Imagine trying to watch the Olympics on a TV with a picture only a few inches deep.....Even if the TV cameras CAN see through the Smog.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
On Saturday,

On the subject of big bangs, I'm sitting here waiting for that big orange "Dynamite" truck to arrive with my new Wisper.....hope I get a chance to ride it before we get vaporized.

Regards

Bob.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

if i buy a anti-vaporization suit from e-bay can i have your wisper please on sunday morning ?:rolleyes:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
It wont bother me I'm on holiday next week.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
On Saturday, The Large Hadron Collider in Geneva will be switched on for the first time.
Regards

Bob.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

can i get a refund on my saturday lottery ticket as wont have chance to spend my winnings if everything else vapourised:cool:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
".......in sept 08 the lucifer project kicks in where nasa hope to turn saturn in to a star by by crashing a probe into it and they want to try and start a nuclear reaction on that planet, the effects of this on earth are unknown....."
Was that Nostradamus too?

Saddlesore

Pedelecer
May 18, 2008
Well its been and gone and I'm still here and so is the rest of the planet - well as I remember it.
I could of course be living in a parallel universe now ( my friends say I do anyway) and was vaporised in my sleep without realising it - or has Doomsday been postponed yet again??

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
not safe yet!

Hi Saddlesore,

You obviously have a good understanding of the purpose of the collider. Even as a complete layman, I find the subject of "missing" energy quite fascinating.

As I understand it, The collider is currently being cooled to its operating temperature, the first high-energy collisions being scheduled for September 10th '08. The highly sensitive collector/sensor arrays may well detect the elusive Higgs Boson or "God particle", or more to the point, where does it go?.

Regarding the doomsday brigade, I suspect the two French guys who created the Nostradamus geezer will now follow up with "....Previously unpublished writings by Nostradamus have recently been discovered in a bricked up vault.....".

I'm a little surprised that "Old Moore" hasn't had something to say about this!.

The vaporization bit was a joke on my part, we all know of course, if we are projected into a parallel universe, we will all go together and take our bikes with us. This will be a reversal of our entry into the current universe, as depicted in the book of Genesis. Sans bikes.

Intelligent Design anybody?.

Yours universally

Bob

Last edited:

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
i hope not...i am driving down to chunnel on way to Royan,,,if it has to happen let it be before 9am...i would hate to travel all that way for nothing......a complete waste of petrol...doh !:eek:

Saddlesore

Pedelecer
May 18, 2008
I see the press are now reporting that this infernal contraption may now cause a black hole into which we will all disappear when the thing is finally fired up shortly. Perhaps we will be spat out in a parallel universe where all e-bike batteries start flat and the more you use them the more charge they develop so you will be able to cycle ad infinitum!
To join The Luddite Information Exchange dial Whitehall 1212!!

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Whitehall 1212

Dear me! I thought that was the War Office number!!

Light beams have successfully been projected around the Collider in both clockwise and anticlockwise directions. On Sept 10th they will be projected in both directions at the same. Half way round they will meet.....oops!.

You'll know when they switch it on, The lights in Europe will go a bit dim.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Dear me! I thought that was the War Office number!!
Whitehall 1212 was the number of the "old" New Scotland Yard of the Metropolitan Police back in the days when policemen said "allo, allo, allo, what 'ave we 'ere then."

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Your right!

Flecc, Of course, it was.

I can still hear that voice on the wireless "...should telephone Whitehall 1212....in best BBC English.

Happy days!

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Winner of the Rory award for "best use of the word Twat in a serious science article."

Such is the angst that the American Nobel prize winning physicist Frank Wilczek of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has even had death threats, said Prof Brian Cox of Manchester University, adding: "Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world is a twat."

Thanks DIGG

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
What worries me is that no person in recorded history has ever predicted the future with complete accuracy.

Remember those black and white TV progammes on 'Tommorrow's World' where scientists predicted that by the 1970/80's we would all be travelling in flying cars and houswives would be freed from household work due to the number of robots available to do all the work? And those aerial 'perspex-like tubes' that we would be whooshed along from city to city - all b#ll#cks!
- But argue any different with them at thev time?!?

They failed to predict the worldwide growth of the home computer.
They failed to predict the Internet.

The computer was not invented to let you chat with your friends on the other side of the world on forums like this.

On the internet you can bypass publishers and reach a worldwide public by publishing your own personal blog - but this was not the stated purpose of its military designer. He did not forsee this kind of use at all in any shape or form. It's original design was 100% for military communications - the rest, totally unpredicted!

The laser is a prime illustration of a tool made for a given purpose, (actually no real purpose), that then found applications that were not even dreamed of at the time. Among the early applications was the surgical stitching of detached retinas. Half a century later, The Economist asked Charles Townes, (the alleged inventor of the laser), if he had retinas in mind when designing the laser. He had not. He was satisfying his desire to split light beams, and that was that. In fact, Towne’s colleagues teased him quite a bit about the irrelevance of his discovery. Yet just consider the effects of the laser in the world around us: Compact Disks, eyesight corrections, microsurgery, data storage and retrieval - all unforeseen applications of the technology that Towne's colleagues dubbed of no use at all but rather ‘A solution in search of a problem‘.

They ALL failed to predict the future. And that's a fact!

Hope I'm around next week to be proved a living twat rather than a dying, 'Ooh, I don't think you meant that to do that, did you?'

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
I'm not too bothered about the possibilities or the consequences of what will happen. As I recall, the doomsday guys predicted the first nuclear tests would result in a runaway chainreaction, which it didn't. It just made a dirty great hole in the Nevada desert.

The schedule of events for the collider has now been changed. The first particle collisions will now occur on October 21st, plenty of riding time left yet....weather permitting.

It's possible a mini black hole may be created within the confines of the collider, the absolute zero temperature (-271 degrees C) created by the cryogenic unit, and gravity free conditions provided by the electromagnetic containment fields. If the black hole "eats" this environment, it will collapse. Real black holes can only exist in the absolute zero temperature and gravity free conditions of outer space......I think!

The primary purpose of the collider, is of course the further development of cold fusion safe future energy sources. Secondarily, 'awkin and his quantum mob also want to play with it. I think they will have to make do with what's left over....if they can find it!!.

I'm sure you've already realised, I'm not a particle physicist. So you see, this thread really is just for fun, but very interesting. Oh! one thought, how will we know if we are propelled into a parallel universe?.

Yours particularly

Bob

Advertisers