Thinking of buying a second folding ebike ?

karl62

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2022
I bought a Rambletta a few months ago and it’s been brilliant - highly recommended as an everyday bike and occasional boot carry.

However, several issues have arisen which are making me contemplate a lighter, more compact folder as a replacement/addition:

1. I usually park my bike outside the gym 4 times a week and have been warned that some of the kids that hang around outside have their eyes on my bike and that they are handy with an angle grinder. I have a fantastic U lock and it’s secured to proper bicycle bars, but the thought that my bike might be stolen is interfering with my training. I started thinking the alternative is to have a light folder that I can trawl around the gym with me. The whoosh is really too big for that.

2. My wife has a trike and we have a decent sized boot on the car, but it’s an art getting both in the car and the struggle is putting me off local trips and driving me crazy for longer holidays. It can take half an hour just to get the bikes in the boot - I don’t want them on display, or external to the car. A smaller, lighter footprint would help a great deal.

Fortunately I don’t need to be cost conscious, but I’m also keen not to be taken in by fancy names, bling and promises. I need to be able to take the bike on cycle tracks-nothing extreme, just gravel surfaced dedicated cycle routes less than 15 miles all in. The Brompton P seems to tick all the boxes, but it’s pricey for what it is - I was actually tempted by their titanium model as it only weighs 7Kg, but then it has no motor. There is the Gocycle and Hummingbird ( weird way of folding which might make the folded size difficult.

Anyone suggested alternatives, or which is best from that bunch, or how they would go about solving my dilemma without even buying a bike ?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
From December, we'll have the 36V 10AH bag battery in stock.
You can have the kit with this 1.2kg battery, good for about 30 miles from a full charge.
The kit adds in total about 2.8kgs-3kgs to the bike, making the Brompton one of the lightest e-bikes around.
Here are some photos for you reference:
10S2P size: 170mm*72mm*76mm
The extension cable in the picture is not needed for the Brompton kit.

What controller is in the "Wild Man" waterproof case? And how user customisable is it compared to the Swytch, which doesn't seem to be.

Reactions: karl62

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What controller is in the "Wild Man" waterproof case? And how user customisable is it compared to the Swytch, which doesn't seem to be.
it's a Lishui controller.
The LCD is the KD58C, manual is on my hub kits webpage.
You can specify the number of assist levels and set the % of power for each of the levels.

Reactions: karl62

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
I've got the Woosh kit on my Brompton and it's rather good, though not perfect. I've reviewed it in a separate thread.

It is very customisable; I've set it to have 9 power levels (10 if you include zero%) and you can assign a percentage boost to each of those levels. My Brompton is a 3-speed, so I use the power level button instead of changing gear a lot of the time

The Brompton is a very stable ride, despite the 16" wheels. Obviously not as stable as 'normal' wheels, but the ride is pretty good.