This mornings Sunday Times

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Actually the ease with which you can operate a powerful boat is only in this country....abroad you have to have a Certificate of Competency,they will accept a Yachtmaster certificate up to 105 tons,after that you need a captains ticket....we are somewhat lax in this country,the thought of some lottery winner buying a 50 knot Sunseeker and tearing along a crowded beach is horrible,but it happens.
KudosDave
Not even powerful boats Dave you need a permit for over 6 HP at sea and 9.9 HP on inland waters in France.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
:rolleyes: you left the door wide open for a smart alec Brexit comment on that but I'll be kind and leave it there
Not sure what comment you had in mind, but our strictness in these traffic matters has been the same out and in the EU. Brexit won't make any difference in this area.

After 44 years of EU law it's reckoned that the civil service will be so bogged down in Brexit once they start the process, we won't get any other legislative change for several years.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
All rowing club boats are equipped with 9.9 Yamaha four strokes thanks to a Rowing Federation sponsorship deal with Yamaha. A RIB will plane with two people on board and a 9.9 HP motor.

Reactions: flecc

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Unbelievable, but that is Cwah. He made a video that he showed on Endless Sphere. If you stop it at exactly 3:00, you can see that white pillar with a clock (?) on it on the right and the arched building on the left. Just before that, you see the same tree on the left. Compare that with the beginning of the above video. He got rid of that bike some time ago and his video was uploaded 2 1/2 years ago.

If you synchronise the two videos, you'll see exactly the same pot-holes, monuments, buildings and trees in each one. They look a bit different because of the wide-angled lens used on the lower one.

No it wasn't me :) I never wear such an ugly yellow jacket... and my bike is much brighter and safer :)

• :D
Reactions: anotherkiwi

The Cornishman

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2016
Le Ravary
I am an adult. I presume that most other contributors are. When I bought my e-bike/EPAC/pedelec I did so knowing that it would give me assistance up to @25km/h and that suited me as the assistance I want is for hills and headwinds. On the flat and downhill I can usually exceed the assistance limit, just as I can on my other bicycles. I knew the law and accepted it. I recently sold a small Suzuki motorcycle. It was slightly faster and needed taxing, insuring, a crash helmet and protective clothing by law. I didn't want that from my e-bike. The Suzuki also had far superior brakes, forks, frame and suspension for coping with the increased speeds. In my opinion the people who are making a lot of noise and blowing hot air about how they feel hard done by because their pedelecs are restricted are either ignorant or fools. Perhaps both.

Reactions: mike killay

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

KOM

pissed ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is where I live. The requirement to wear 'suitable' gloves became law within the past few weeks. Having said that I never ride my touring motorcycle or rode the Suzuki without protective clothing.
If you are in the UK, would you like to quote that law? As far as I know it doesn't exist here.

Test examiners have long required protective clothing or they refuse to conduct tests, but that is an abuse of authority, not backed by law.