throttle availability

overthehill

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2010
I have noticed on 50 Cycles kalkhoff 2011 that none of there bikes have throttle assist which for those of us who may have physical or medical conditions may not find them so suitable. Surely this is a backward step as other manufacturers seem to still be building bikes with throttle assist. Have I got it wrong and if not what are the best alternatives.

Alex

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
I have noticed on 50 Cycles kalkhoff 2011 that none of there bikes have throttle assist which for those of us who may have physical or medical conditions may not find them so suitable. Surely this is a backward step as other manufacturers seem to still be building bikes with throttle assist. Have I got it wrong and if not what are the best alternatives.

Alex
Sure, there are pros to having a throttle-assist electric bike, but the pedal-assist type electric bikes are popular because they emulate a normal bicycle better. The 50 Cycles 2011 range must be a result of popularity.

Not to say that throttle-assist models aren't going to be available in the future!

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Hi Alex,

Any Panasonic powered bike can be fitted with an independent throttle, but, it is only designed to be used as a walk-alongside aid in the event of a rider being unable to ride up a very steep hill. The maximum speed of four mph available on the throttle is in line with EU rules regarding 'Pedestrian controlled vehicles'.

For a report on how the throttle works, please read my post HERE

A very happy Christmas to you and yours, and all the best for the New Year.

Regards
Bob

Last edited:

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
For those of us with leg disabilities (e.g. missing legs!), the proper throttle isn't a luxury, but an essential. There are many circumstances in which pushing down hard on a pedal, from rest, is next to impossible, and then we use the throttle - only to get moving, because once we're doing 2 or 3 mph we can bring our legs into play.

It's a shame, because Kalkhoffs certainly are the Mercedes of electric bikes. Maybe UK Kalkhoff dealers could offer throttles as paid-for extras, on the basis that if they CAN do a 'walking' thumb throttle, they could probably fit a 'proper' throttle instead.

Allen.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
For those of us with leg disabilities (e.g. missing legs!), the proper throttle isn't a luxury, but an essential. There are many circumstances in which pushing down hard on a pedal, from rest, is next to impossible, and then we use the throttle - only to get moving, because once we're doing 2 or 3 mph we can bring our legs into play.

It's a shame, because Kalkhoffs certainly are the Mercedes of electric bikes. Maybe UK Kalkhoff dealers could offer throttles as paid-for extras, on the basis that if they CAN do a 'walking' thumb throttle, they could probably fit a 'proper' throttle instead.

Allen.
Woudn't the thumb throttle suffice for just starting off - it does propel you up to four miles per hour. Not ideal but...

Colin

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
The Panasonic 'throttle' is very low powered, add to that the very 'soft' start means it takes a while to get going with the rider mounted, even on the flat. If there is the slightest incline, it wont move at all with my 78 Kgs sitting on it.

One thing I can tell you from personal experience, is that a Wisper 705 set up for EU use ( purple wires connected ) will take off very quickly and strongly from a standing start using the throttle only, even on a steepish upslope, but only to 4 mph. I suspect the Wisper machines set up for EU use have full amps draw available when ridden in this way.

Another reason this type of machine would be most suitable for a monoped, is the two second run-on typical of hub-motored machines using a rotation pedelec sensor. This run-on effectively fills the gap between 'good leg' pedal strokes.

Seasons greetings to all
Bob

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Woudn't the thumb throttle suffice for just starting off - it does propel you up to four miles per hour. Not ideal but...

Colin
Apparently not, Colin. When I was buying my bike (May this year), I did look into it as far as I could, and in the end took Flecc's word for the lack of motive ability on the Kalkhoff's thumb throttle. Apparently on steep slopes it doesn't get the BIKE up the hill, let alone 115kg-worth of unfit rider as well!

I had a couple of road tests on Kalkhoffs, to see whether the pedal-only system would work for me, and while it was extremely powerful, it was MY physical limitations that ultimately pushed me towards the Wisper. If I had two legs, I'd probably have gone for the Kalkhoff.

Allen, Wisper 905se 2010.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
It's a shame that they don't have the necessary power to get the rider started, but from what Bob says - stay with Wisper.

Colin

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
I get considerable pain in my right leg following a spinal operation. I was really keen to get a bike with a full throttle. I spent alot of time looking into Kalkhoff bikes - if one of them had a throttle I don't doubt I would have purchased one. I also liked the Wisper range as well, but the frames were just too small for me whereas Kalkhofff bikes have a whole range of frame sizes.

I suppose it is probably worth contacting the manufacturers / dealers - if there is enough interest expressed they might develop a range of bikes with a full throttle option.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I suppose it is probably worth contacting the manufacturers / dealers - if there is enough interest expressed they might develop a range of bikes with a full throttle option.
EU and forthcoming UK law being what they are and what is likely to come, militate against this on unlicenced electric assist bikes, especially from European based manufacturers like Kalkhoff.

They are and are intended to only be electric assist, whether pedalled or pushed up hills. Full throttle options are available under both existing and intended laws, but they require some additional regulating controls including registration and a free tax disc.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
The proposed law on pedelecs is an ass - and discriminates against the disabled which is against the law. The lawmakers obviously don't know the law.
Will the EU sue itself in its own Court?

Colin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The proposed law on pedelecs is an ass - and discriminates against the disabled which is against the law. The lawmakers obviously don't know the law.
Will the EU sue itself in its own Court?

Colin
A nice notion Colin, but it won't wash since it simply isn't true. Discrimination means denial of a facility to the disabled, and a facility, present or future, isn't being denied just to them in any way.

In a sense what you are advocating is positive discrimination, an additional facility to help the disabled, though really I suspect most of these arguments on behalf of the disabled having throttles are disguised ways of retaining the facility for everyone.

Remember, independent acting throttles have long been unlawful anyway since they were ruled out by the revisions in 2003. We just ignored that law which doesn't help our case.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I doubt if the few dozen electric bike users with leg problems constitute much of a pressure group, Colin! I suppose I'm just hoping that some independent electric bike workshop will continue to offer throttles (strictly for off-road use, you understand), and that the old Bill will continue to be busier with more important issues.

Allen.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I would suggest that the situation regarding car adaption is looked at. There, hand/foot/elbow/nose throttles are perfectly allowable subject to some form of approval - ie, the driver is examined actually driving the vehicle and if his/her control is satisfactory, it's ok. There should be no need for the cops to turn a blind eye, for the system should be flexible enough to allow such modifications where needed.
Rigid laws are utterly stupid and satisfy nobody but the control freaks who put them there.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I would suggest that the situation regarding car adaption is looked at. There, hand/foot/elbow/nose throttles are perfectly allowable subject to some form of approval - ie, the driver is examined actually driving the vehicle and if his/her control is satisfactory, it's ok.
This is a sensible approach, the capability of adaptation for the registered disabled alone. This is much more likely to be listened to.

overthehill

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2010
Thankyou for your response

Many thanks everyone for your considered response it is much appreciated. My present bike has throttle assist and it looks like I will have to stay with it and forego my intended purchase of the Kalkhoff which is no longer suitable for my usage. Seasons greetings to all.
Alex

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Alex

I hope you had a great Christmas, have you tried the 906Alpino 28" the bike is very much larger than the standard 26" Wisper bikes and may be more suitable? It also features the Shimano Alfine 8 gear hub which I believe you would find an advantage as you do not need to be pedaling in order to change gears.

Best regards

David