Thunder Horn

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Saw a posting on here about someone fitting a 'Thunder Horn' on their bike, so looked it up.
It's an ebay purchase from Hong Kong, which was not a problem for me having bought quite a few items this way, anyway sent for one and it arrived today.

Well pleased, reasonable build quality and loud, very easy to remove if transporting bike on rack etc.
Would have to be careful not to startle pedestrians but would probably be heard in a car, which is what i wanted.

Thanks to the gent who posted it.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm still having problems with pedestrians and cyclists on cycle paths, when I'm approaching from behind - especially when they're in twos or threes. I have a quieter horn, which doesn't wake them up from a long way away. I keep sounding it as I get closer, but, when they eventually hear it (too late), they just turn directly into my path - nearly every time! When it's a single pedestrian or cyclist, I tend not to use it so that they won't do it. The same happed when I had my bell. The horn I have is loud enough, but they're busy concentrating on other things, it seems. What strategies do the rest of you use in these circumstances? Would the Thunder Horn solve it?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm still having problems with pedestrians and cyclists on cycle paths, when I'm approaching from behind -
Me too d8veh, I've tried everything fromthe Airzound which is far too loud for most but necessary for the deaf elderly, to various bells and electric sounders

Best of all I've found is to slow down and say positively, "Good Morning" or "Good Afternoon". These are usually heard and invariably receive a polite and often friendly response.

It did bring one very funny moment though. Cycling up behind an elderly lady on a shared use path, I said "Good Morning" and she stared up into the tree she was walking under! :D

Last edited:

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I've given up trying to warn pedestrians of my approach - for exactly the reason d8veh mentions - in snowboarding we call it the 'crazy ivan' where you follow a skier down the mountain watching their turns and work out where you will pass after their next turn only to find they have pulled a crazy ivan and are cutting back in front of you at the last second!

As for horns, the airzound is way way too loud, instead I try, where possible to give pedestrians a wide birth. If that isn't possible I just crawl along behind and the squeak or squeal of my brakes and clicking of brake levers usually alerts them and eventually they make a path and I thank them and move on.

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
Saw a posting on here about someone fitting a 'Thunder Horn' on their bike,
T'was me! A great buy, 115 db isso much louder than the u.k. legal horns. They're a bit heavy, but the PP3 battery has lasted me well over a year!

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Usually changing gear works - the emotion is pretty loud in this department. I reserve the airzound for frightening the bejeesus out of drivers that have annoyed me on my journey in (and as a last resort as well).

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I've ordered a Thunder Horn from eBay, i'm hoping it will help one particular city centre area of my commute. :D

In the morning the said road is a normal road, but after 8:30 bollards rise and close it off until after evening rush hour. Buses and emergency vehicles automatically lower the rising bollards with some sort of electronic tag they carry.

Pedestrians treat this road as pedestrianised, and step out onto it on the basis that they dont hear a bus bearing down on them, not bothering to look. I dont mean the odd one, i mean 30-40 people will walk out in a 300 yard stretch, especially during the pre-Christmas shopping period.

Little ping bells are drowned out in the general city centre hustle and bustle, and are never going to be much use on the iPod users anyway. I'm hoping the Thunder Horn will get their attention.

Last edited:

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
I have the same problem with pedestrians stepping into cycle lanes, or stepping out in the road without looking. I'll be taking a look at that Thunder Horn, as my current horn isn't very loud.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
pedestrains

Hi we have a serious problem with any moving vehicle maybe a sound generator like a moped engine the problem will be even worse with electric motor bikes and cars they go faster

Frank

LeonardYoung

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2011
I think the use of horns, especially loud ones, simply alienate pedestrians. I concede that it's annoying when someone on a footpath with lots of room prefers to walk on a cycle path, but there are many cycle paths which are also for the use of pedestrians.

Just because we are going faster than pedestrians doesn't give us the right to barge them out of the way with a loud horn. I think Flecc's approach is the best, and more civilised.

Using horns to clear a path is bound to be interpreted as aggressive and a virtual command to "get out of my way".

When approach unaware walkers from behind, I slow down and try to make obvious sounds (pedal reverse, tap the brakes, cough....anything that is non-aggressive). If they do not budge then I slow more to a safe speed and creep by. OK it disturbs my rhythm a little but that is better than risking an accident. Usually that is met with a smile and a nod. Loud horns are not the answer.

Leonard

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I agree, I use a bell or cough etc but I like Flecc's ventriloquist method even if it's a bit mean on the old dears! :D

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I think its horses for courses, and some common sense is required. I wouldnt use a Thunder Horn on a quiet canal towpath as the pedestrian may end up in the water! Similarly the small ping bells are completely unsuitable for busy, noisy city centres, where about a third of pedestrians have something plugged into their ears.

Like BLACKPANTHER i plan on keeping the ping alongside the Thunder Horn.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Hi we have a serious problem with any moving vehicle maybe a sound generator like a moped engine the problem will be even worse with electric motor bikes and cars they go faster

Frank
I assume you are referring to the impending car-mageddon brought about by whisper quiet electric cars and the like?

While I can see the benefit/logic, I can't help but feel we are again, pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Personally speaking I would think it better for the human race if this was tackled by educating people to not be so bloody stupid and stepping out into the road without looking. A lofty goal but probably unachievable in our cultural climate of looking for someone else to blame and shifting of responsibilities.

Tuffty the Squirrel would be spinning in his grave at the thought of all these self absorbed pedestrians!

As for bikes, I apply the rule that pedestrians have right of way and am happy enough to wait, even those who appear to be behaving inconsiderately are usually unaware and apologetic when they realise they are impeding your progress. Again, a smile and a thank you and you're off again thanks to the quick acceleration of ebikes.

Last edited:

Bikealot

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2010
bells and whistles

I think using some sort of power horn is suitable only for road use and in compliance with the highway code. Such horns can easily convey aggression and may also frighten some people. For cycle paths and any shared routes I think the more sensitive and patient approach is required (as described in this thread).

I have been surprised and alarmed myself when walking when a cyclist has sped past me from behind (without advanced warning) so approach walkers myself with caution. Bikes and E-Bikes are particularly silent when there is other ambient noise even for those with excellent hearing and concentration.

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
I regularly filter down a dual carriageway with standing traffic. Pedestrians tend to cross between cars without looking at all for cyclists/motorcyclists filtering! A quick pip of the thunder horn when I see them about to cross gets their attention.

If I'm on a footpath/cycle path I give a ping of the bell, and I always thank people when they move aside. If they don't move I don't get mad....they could be on their ipod, they could be deaf, they could just be in their own little world. We all do it from time to time.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
My Thunder Horn arrived yesterday, it really is quite loud, i have little doubt drivers will hear it. Its also a very distinctive sound, not like a car or truck horn at all.

I had to use it on an iPod using pedestrian today too, seemed to work ok, they didnt jump out of their skin, but turned and looked.:)

_g_

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2008
I got a Stevel Nautilus Compact for my motorbike (uses a mini compressor for a VERY loud air horn - almost as loud as the 'proper' air horn on my truck!) Was going to wire it in to a special switch to really scare the people that had just tried to cut me up etc (when I was out of the way, though), but never fitted it to the bike in the end.

Was tempted to use something similar against the parents that always pooled on the cycle path outside the primary school. Sure, I'm not a car, but if your 4 year old runs out in front of my bike, the sharp bits on the bike along with a total weight of over 100kg is really not going to be great for them.

Luckily for them, I certainly paid more attention than they did. Sadly, they didn't even seen to realised half the time, when I skidded the back wheel up to them as they ambled along with their kids scrabbling around.