To e or not to e ( wouldn't have worked for Will S)

Re tyred

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
in my house
Hi. 61 year old. 2 previous heart attacks rebored and stented, overweight 6foot was 21 stone lol dare I say not as fit as I could be. Plan do something about it. Implementation dug out old Raleigh record not used for thirty years, managed 2 miles 1 mile downhill fast due to weight, forgot to check brakes (an age thing) 1 mile uphill slow due to pushing bike. Assessment need to do more work. Result after 5 month's lost 3and half stone can now manage12 mile cycle slowly (two hour's 45 mins) can cycle up hills in stages refuse to push bike, thought's get an e bike as now fit enough to cycle with the extra weight in unassisted mode until absolutely required. Thinking carrera crossfire reviews generally good for price aware of reported cut out problems but most owners still seem to rate them, aware I should continue to lose weight and general fitness should improve and an ordinary bike might be way forward, however like the thought of battery back up. Does but this make sense would value opinions either way. My part of Ayrshire is either uphill or downhill not much flat around

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Use the power, you will cycle more, further and more often.
Trips to Largs and Then you can get up to the cloch for a drum,
The miles will build as the fitness dose.
The crossfire is OK most bikes have some issues, it's just the impulse motored bikes we say avoid completely.

Reactions: Re tyred

Re tyred

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
in my house
Ty for reply, advise seems good and will be taken on board, still plan to push my limits (but not the bike) as I get a good feeling after what to me is a good workout. Which brings me to my next ? You mentioned the cloch which meant nothing, a quick goggle revealed it's a cycle route created 2010 about 40 miles north of me, would appreciate any info on decent sites showing local cycle routes if possible showing grade of route eg easy, moderate or oh jeeze what have I done. If this should have been done in another thread advise and I will do so in future

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Ty for reply, advise seems good and will be taken on board, still plan to push my limits (but not the bike) as I get a good feeling after what to me is a good workout. Which brings me to my next ? You mentioned the cloch which meant nothing, a quick goggle revealed it's a cycle route created 2010 about 40 miles north of me, would appreciate any info on decent sites showing local cycle routes if possible showing grade of route eg easy, moderate or oh jeeze what have I done. If this should have been done in another thread advise and I will do so in future
When I was young and fit. I did the little Clyde so gourock down the river to largs accross to Dalry and bridge of Johnston then across Greenock. Or the big Clyde that includes Paisley and ardrossan.
I assume you're around Ayr. A little south for me but heading north to Largs on the coast has few hills and lots of open road. Going up towards Paisley involves some hills. Quite a long and adventurous trip.
Doing the ferries so off to Arran, Kintyre and back via bute is nice but also a long run.
Perhaps a look for the portencross gallion is a better run?
The cloch lighthouse had a cycle stop,brew point, with seaside view. (30 years ago)Bring your own mug and contribute to the wood or gas if it was wet.
I had many a cuppa there

Re tyred

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
in my house
Ty d8ve your a star yup I'm further south auchenleck, new cumnock, dalmellington is my area and now found cycle routes site giving rated routes in my area although there ratings are eratic local knowledge should help in planning. Hopefully halfords will have one of there reductions on the crossfire. E soon as there price increased a month ago and door is now open for them to give a20%price reduction which in reality will be nearer 10%(yup halfords we as consumers are that thick we can't see it coming)if I am wrong I will get it on black Friday or sales following christmas (when it comes to me parting with money remember "it taks a Lang spoon tae sup wi' a fifer") or in English for the unenlightened I may be considered to be as tight as a ducks posterior :eek:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
There is a real reason for price increases, the brexit stuff is making the cost from China higher. It may get worse too... If you get British cycling membership you can get 10% off in halifrauds. And you could always haggle. The best prices were £720 ish