Today I found a downside to EMTB's

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Went for a proper off road ride today with offspring on a route that turned out to be almost impassable, but to go back was impossible so we had to continue with impassable..
A clue we missed at the turn off was no other bike tracks, but offspring said he had been before and it was rough but passable.
Rain had soaked the land, all the gates were under a foot of water with just a few stones to balance on, and the gullies were oozing.. at one such gully that was 6ft deep I had to manhandle my bike down it, through the mud at its bottom and up the other side with no purchase for my mud caked shoes with offspring pulling and me pushing we got it up, but it was unbelievably difficult, whereas his lightweight bike was no problem. Of course he remarked on this unalterable fact, but later admitted that apart from the weight it did a good job.
Eventually the Bridleway became completely impassable so we had to go off- offload if that makes any sense.. making our way through the soggy bracken which hid many a hole full of water..
Still, an enjoyable 4 hours out on a Sunday Morning..
2016-11-13 11.03.11.jpg
2016-11-13 12.08.21.jpg

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just running through the vids and thought I would try taking some stills off and am surprised by how easy it was using windows, and how good they are... Considering what they are.
I Think bad terrain is a bit like steep hills, they never look as bad in the vids.. Mud 1.jpg Mud 2.jpg Mud 3.jpg Mud 4.jpg Mud 5.jpg Mud 6.jpg Mud 7.jpg Mud 8.jpg Mud 9.jpg Mud 10.jpg is a bit like steep hills, they never look as bad in the vids..

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Oh! I can see why you were complaining about the conditions now.

Is it a very expensive thermal cycling suit and boots?

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Nothing you can say will now change my mind, you are both professional road racers thrown in to Mountain biking by accident, the shock must be terrible for you.

Trainers, jeans and a fleece, that's me.

When it's very cold I wear a Balaclava, (on my head, editorial note).

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Your sons riding pants and boots do look lovely and clean though (new) and there seems to be a reluctance to change that (roadie)?

Nothing to do with advantage in my dress code, it's a fashion statement that I like to make.

I do not dress for the conditions I dress to impress, it's fashion, function over form every time!

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I am quite happy in my aldi bright yellow waterproof jacket. I am not proud and don't care what people say... but I like my padded winter leggings (4hours on a hard saddle without padding I do not fancy) and spd shoes (aldi) .

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Just popping through on other business.. Gubbins, that just looks like a normal winter ride to me. :)

Your sons riding pants and boots do look lovely and clean though (new) and there seems to be a reluctance to change that (roadie)?

Nothing to do with advantage in my dress code, it's a fashion statement that I like to make.

I do not dress for the conditions I dress to impress, it's fashion, function over form every time!
I got to say that I'm with Gubbins son on this one, and spend pretty much the whole of winter wearing exactly the same kit, right down to the red and black top.

On colder days, I wouldn't swap my Rose thermal bib tights, and BBB overshoes for anything else. The bib tights are now three years old, and haven't even begun to show any sign of wear and tear. They shrug of dirt really well, keep the cold off, and dry out really quickly when they get wet.

The overshoes, are a recent purchase, but have already become a 'must use' on every ride. They are by far the best method that I have tried, in respect of keeping feet warm as toast, and for shrugging off mud and water. The extra bit of time that it takes taking them on and off is a slight pain, but I can live with that.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose-design-iii-thermal-bib-tights/aid:558812

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bbb-arcticduty-overshoes-aw16/rp-prod127773?gs=1&gclid=CMmQ77ijqdACFRHgGwodcNQA_Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I went for a £100 bike fit a while back and fully expected him to slate my aldi leggings (I just can't bring myself to calling them tights) aldi bike shoes and shorts.. with recommendations... but he didint!
The only comment he made on was a good pair of bib tights is the best thing for comfort that you can buy

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The only comment he made on was a good pair of bib tights is the best thing for comfort that you can buy
He isn't wrong. :)

I can certainly vouch for the Rose bib tights, and they really have had to endure a lot of punishment. Continually being wet and muddy with pretty much every winter ride, being washed several times a week, and yet they are still as comfy as they were on day one, have lost no colour, and have remained perfect in shape with no deterioration.
They have also proved to be surprisingly resilient to thorn and bramble attack, and frustratingly gained their first hole last weekend when I fell on flint.

I still often wear lycra shorts as well at this time of year, as washing your legs with a hose pipe after a ride only takes seconds to do, but as time goes by, I'm slowly becoming reluctant with that one.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
My biggest problem area is my feet and am thinking of going for a more boot orientated shoe that is fully sealed against water ingress.
But for the price I am fancying something like these..
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-xm9-spd-shoe/
I have the same problem....I've gone through 2 pairs of overshoes in 3 months.
I would happily pay the extra for some decent waterproof boots but have yet to find any that appear to justify the price.

If you get those please report back....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
My shoes and overshoes haven't dried out yet from Sunday an when I peeled of the overshoes the mud in between them was more than impressive!!
With the cleat holes underneath all in needs is 2 inches of water and your feet are wet. I supose that flats and a decent pair of hiking boots would do it, but I like the spd's.
Have opened a chat with Wiggles and they assure me the cleat holes are full sealed..
Still cringing on the price tho (Aldi Shopper)

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Have to plead ignorance here....I don't know the difference between spd and mtb....I just want to get to work with dry feet after ploughing through big trail puddles...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
He isn't wrong. :)

I can certainly vouch for the Rose bib tights, and they really have had to endure a lot of punishment. Continually being wet and muddy with pretty much every winter ride, being washed several times a week, and yet they are still as comfy as they were on day one, have lost no colour, and have remained perfect in shape with no deterioration.
They have also proved to be surprisingly resilient to thorn and bramble attack, and frustratingly gained their first hole last weekend when I fell on flint.

I still often wear lycra shorts as well at this time of year, as washing your legs with a hose pipe after a ride only takes seconds to do, but as time goes by, I'm slowly becoming reluctant with that one.
Hot tap in the garage... Luxury

• Useful
Reactions: Gubbins

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
My biggest problem area is my feet and am thinking of going for a more boot orientated shoe that is fully sealed against water ingress.
But for the price I am fancying something like these..
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-xm9-spd-shoe/
Wow! They look mega and ideal for when you need to push your bike through impassable conditions. The only problem I can foresee is that if you wear them with Lycra tights the water on your legs will run down your legs into your boot's, so you need suitable trousers to fit over your boot's But if you do get a pair I would be interested to know if their any good.

I have found that Shimano shoes are small fitting and I have normally bought them one size bigger.

Related Articles

Advertisers