Total newbie looking to buy an eBike, want some advice on a model!

Karliah

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2023
Hi all,

I am looking to buy an eBike, I have an offer of a Shengmilo MX05 for £750 Brand new in box, I'm not sure if I should take it or not or look elsewhere, my budget is definitely around that price point.

Some additional information:

I have a normal bike already that I love, so I am totally open to getting a conversion kit although it is more hassle, I do have the capacity to build my own lithium ion 18650 battery with the help of a qualified electrician, if it will save me a significant sum of money.

- The shengmilo has a really long range, My health is quite bad so I would want the comfort of knowing I can get back without pedaling much of that makes sense.

One person has told me that the MX05 is not road legal, looking for some advice on this as it says it conforms to UK law, can be limited to 15mph etc, looking for some advice on that.

If you need any more info please let me know, as I said I know nothing about this sector, so all advice is welcome

Karliah

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2023
Yes, ask for recommendations from those who kit build like Az above. As he says, I'd prefer to get the whole package from one supplier with UK support who can guide you knowledgably, like Woosh I mentioned before. It might cost slightly more but I'd say the benefits make that worthwhile.
For some it's the start assistance they need, just that extra push to get them going, then they're ok from 4mph upwards with the assisted pedalling.
Gotcha, yeah I definitely want a throttle only operation up to 15.5 without pedaling.

So the Lishui controller is limiting it to 4mph only, if I was to buy an alternative controller compatible with the C500 display that the kit comes with, I would presume that I could use full throttle?
If you buy a battery on its own, the probability is that it won't have any connector. You will normally have to solder something somewhere. If you can't do that, you must buy a kit that includes a battery, which will have natching connectors on all the parts. When you mix and match parts, you have to sort out connections yourself.

Throttles are legal on all bikes. I can't understand why those guys don't make it clear. The only rule is that the power has to stop when the pedals stop rotating if the speed is above 4 mph. There's no rule about how fast the pedals have to rotate or how much effort you have to put in, so as long as you turn the pedals slowly the throttle can be used to regulate your speed or power up to the maximum 15.5 mph. Most controllers in kits have settings that make it work like that. They refere to it in the instructions as zero throttle, which is completely independent operation, and non-zero throttle that's dependent on the pedals rotating.
Yeah I'm fine with soldering connectors on if needed, I think it's better that I choose a suitable kit that will do throttle only up to 15.5, although I am struggling with some just advertising the max speed and not saying whether that's with pedaling or not, so not sure how I will get around that.

Other alternative is to just buy the yosepower kit, and get a separate controller but that seems like unnecessary hassle?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Lishui controllers are not not restricted. They are usually loaded with parameters chosen by your vendor and can be reprogrammed by said vendor. I can for example switch between current control and speed control for example. Just ask your vendor what you need.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
Main thing now is to look for a simple 250W kit, Undecided on front or rear and pair it with the YOSE Power battery.

@Cadence said he had paired the 350W controller into the 250W kit, however when I go on the 350W kits here

It is still saying limited to 6km/h (I assume that's the walk assist)

So with that controller i am stuck at 6km/h and would have to buy a separate controller to get any higher?
Yes and No! It's a bit confusing, but all of the Yose kits have a "Walk Assist" function. You press and hold down the "Minus" button on the display while you walk with the bike. Although it's not intended, you can use this while sitting on the bike to move off before pedaling.
The thumb throttle in the 350w. kits works without pedalling up to the maximim speed which can be set up to 20mph.
The thumb throttle in the 250w. kits only works up to 4-5mph without pedaling and is just another way of using "walk assist" instead of using the minus button. The max speed is set at 15.5mph with the 250w. kits and can't be altered.
By swapping the controllers I am able to use the thumb throttle up to the max speed without pedalling. The max speed is still fixed at 15.5 mph though.

You might be wondering why, if I wanted a full thottle, I didn't just buy a 350w. kit? Well first off, I didn't know about the "walk assist only" throttle and the 250w. rear cassette kit came with a black hub and spokes which would match the front wheel on my nearly new bike. The 350w. kit on my old Giant MTB has silver hub and spokes.
If you are not worried about being possibly illegal, the 350w. kits obviously do have a full throttle and you can set the top speed. My 350w. hub is only very slightly bigger than the 250w. I ride like a responsible adult (OK, Old Git!) so I'm prepared to have a sensible conversation in the unlikely event that HM Constabulary want a "chat".

Karliah

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2023
Lishui controllers are not not restricted. They are usually loaded with parameters chosen by your vendor and can be reprogrammed by said vendor. I can for example switch between current control and speed control for example. Just ask your vendor what you need.
I'll send them an email over in that case and take it from there. Looked on some Amazon reviews of the yosepower kit just to see if they mentioned support anywhere and it seems they are in China, and just dispatching from a UK warehouse so not too hopeful.

Yes and No! It's a bit confusing, but all of the Yose kits have a "Walk Assist" function. You press and hold down the "Minus" button on the display while you walk with the bike. Although it's not intended, you can use this while sitting on the bike to move off before pedaling.
The thumb throttle in the 350w. kits works without pedalling up to the maximim speed which can be set up to 20mph.
The thumb throttle in the 250w. kits only works up to 4-5mph without pedaling and is just another way of using "walk assist" instead of using the minus button. The max speed is set at 15.5mph with the 250w. kits and can't be altered.
By swapping the controllers I am able to use the thumb throttle up to the max speed without pedalling. The max speed is still fixed at 15.5 mph though.

You might be wondering why, if I wanted a full thottle, I didn't just buy a 350w. kit? Well first off, I didn't know about the "walk assist only" throttle and the 250w. rear cassette kit came with a black hub and spokes which would match the front wheel on my nearly new bike. The 350w. kit on my old Giant MTB has silver hub and spokes.
If you are not worried about being possibly illegal, the 350w. kits obviously do have a full throttle and you can set the top speed. My 350w. hub is only very slightly bigger than the 250w. I ride like a responsible adult (OK, Old Git!) so I'm prepared to have a sensible conversation in the unlikely event that HM Constabulary want a "chat".
And that was what I was wondering as on the 350w kits it still only advertises 6 km/h, which I thought was walk assist only, guessing it's just a fault on the specifications list and it indeed does have full throttle

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Emailing the vendor before buying is a good move. You get a good idea how their CS is going to be.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
The thumb throttle in the 250w. kits only works up to 4-5mph without pedaling
That is not true.
Yose sells many kits. Different controllers, different LCDs and different default settings. Best to ask and then check manual to confirm.
When it comes to throttles there is a lot of confusion. I wouldn't be surprised if they were setting default options to 5mph just to be on a safe side.
Yose is a Chinese company as far as I understand and they have warehouses in UK an Germany. But also they have service here in UK. It makes a massive difference. For example my battery was dead on arrival. It took me weeks to get replacement, but it was done at no extra cost. Imagine buying directly from China and paying to send it back.

Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Karliah

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2023
That is not true.
Yose sells many kits. Different controllers, different LCDs and different default settings. Best to ask and then check manual to confirm.
When it comes to throttles there is a lot of confusion. I wouldn't be surprised if they were setting default options to 5mph just to be on a safe side.
Yose is a Chinese company as far as I understand and they have warehouses in UK an Germany. But also they have service here in UK. It makes a massive difference. For example my battery was dead on arrival. It took me weeks to get replacement, but it was done at no extra cost. Imagine buying directly from China and paying to send it back.
Yeah.. no thanks on that last part, definitely worth it to buy UK just for the peace of mind.

Hopefully they are setting it to 5 mph and I can request one that isnt. When you say default options, is this something that can be changed with the display or is it factory programmed.

As @Cadence has bought the 250w kit, I'm sure he tried to set it to full speed with no success, so I think I'll send them over an email and see what they say!

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
For some it's the start assistance they need, just that extra push to get them going, then they're ok from 4mph upwards with the assisted pedalling.
Hmmm... yes, it does make more sense now. They should call it start assist not walk assist then :)

Thanks for helping me understand one of worlds mysteries.
BTW, do you know why cables are so long you can carry battery in a backpack or on a trailer? Copper is very expensive, so there must be some hidden logic behind that...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Walk assist: press and hold down the - button. The bike will push you along at around 3 to 4 mph. Start assist: throttle works up to 6mph to get you pedalling.

• Informative
Reactions: Az.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Walk assist: press and hold down the - button. The bike will push you along at around 3 to 4 mph. Start assist: throttle works up to 6mph to get you pedalling.
One of my bikes has coaster brake (Nexus 7). I hate coaster brake with passion, so start assist would be quite useful actually.

Default settings can be changed, but not on all ebikes. It depends on controller and LCD, so again - ask seller and check manual.

Bosa

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2023
Hi all,

I am looking to buy an eBike, I have an offer of a Shengmilo MX05 for £750 Brand new in box, I'm not sure if I should take it or not or look elsewhere, my budget is definitely around that price point.

Some additional information:

I have a normal bike already that I love, so I am totally open to getting a conversion kit although it is more hassle, I do have the capacity to build my own lithium ion 18650 battery with the help of a qualified electrician, if it will save me a significant sum of money.

- The shengmilo has a really long range, My health is quite bad so I would want the comfort of knowing I can get back without pedaling much of that makes sense.

One person has told me that the MX05 is not road legal, looking for some advice on this as it says it conforms to UK law, can be limited to 15mph etc, looking for some advice on that.

If you need any more info please let me know, as I said I know nothing about this sector, so all advice is welcome
Cycle Race in East Sheen SW14 have amazing ebikes and cargo bikes and really supportive staff

Karliah

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2023
Which bike within OPS budget would you recommend from their store?
+ on this, I'm really open to buying a bike that is already put together, but if a thumb throttle or twist & go is not included its a no-go I'm afraid.

I'll be honest, my heart sometimes decides to go on a fast one and race above 200BPM for no reason, so if that happens while I am out and about I cannot pedal and increase that further as its quite dangerous for me, so I do really need a throttle that can get me back without pedaling.

I don't want to burden you all with my issue, but I thought I'd explain it because I don't have much wiggle room when it comes to that if that makes sense.

I have emailed YOSEPOWER about the walk assist mode and will see what they say, apart from that I am just on the lookout for a 250W front or rear, with a throttle up to 15.5 MPH without pedaling. I think its quite a modest request but hell am I struggling to find a suitable one!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

can you build it?

Karliah

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2023

can you build it?
Yes I can build it, although I was leaning toward one already built. And that is 500W I think, so not road legal? That's probably something I will look at later on as people here have told me its probably not a good idea to go above 250W as not legal!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
then just buy it fit it and ride it with a throttle bbs motors are bomb proof and 99.9% of bikes and scooters on the road is not road legal any way

if i get pissed and stoned and go for a bike ride im not road legal anyway and im still not dead :p

DSC_0056.JPG

im sure they will help you out :cool:

Karliah

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2023
then just buy it fit it and ride it with a throttle bbs motors are bomb proof and 99.9% of bikes and scooters on the road is not road legal any way

if i get pissed and stoned and go for a bike ride im not road legal anyway and im still not dead :p

View attachment 52199

im sure they will help you out :cool:
Thank you a lot for this!