Trek 7300 for Conversion

Abs_N

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2009
Hi,

I have a trek 7300 which I want to convert to an ebike.
Having looked on the forum there are a lot of ebike kits.
I currently have a powcycle salisbury which I plan to keep as a back up bike.

Now for the Trek I want a front wheel motor which is a lot better than the Salisbury in terms of pulling power and top speed but it also needs to run at least as quiet as the salisbury. I am confident that I could build it as long as there are sufficient instructions and when I do get stuck I am sure the forum will help.

Which kit would users recommend ? I have looked the bafang kit on BMS battery but am not sure which one I need.

Also if I buy a motor with front brake disc, will I be able to change the front brakes to disc?

The trek has a triple chainring will I be able to keep this when I convert it to an ebike or does it need to be replaced to s ingle chainring?

Also how different are the front wheel motor ebikes when compared to the rear wheel motor ebikes is there a great difference to the ride quality?

Thanks

C

Cyclezee

Hi Abs,

An eZee kit would fit the bill perfectly and the kit comes with a full installation guide.

Let me know if I can be of help.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Hi,

I have a trek 7300 which I want to convert to an ebike.
Having looked on the forum there are a lot of ebike kits.
I currently have a powcycle salisbury which I plan to keep as a back up bike.

Now for the Trek I want a front wheel motor which is a lot better than the Salisbury in terms of pulling power and top speed but it also needs to run at least as quiet as the salisbury. I am confident that I could build it as long as there are sufficient instructions and when I do get stuck I am sure the forum will help.
Loads of people on here who've done conversions so combined knowledge should get you out of a hole if stuck.

Which kit would users recommend ? I have looked the bafang kit on BMS battery but am not sure which one I need.
How much do you want to spend?

You could go eZee as above or BMS or RFTEC.eu or Sunlova or Alien etc.

Also if I buy a motor with front brake disc, will I be able to change the front brakes to disc?
Yes if you have the mounting points on the front forks

The trek has a triple chainring will I be able to keep this when I convert it to an ebike or does it need to be replaced to s ingle chainring?
You can retain the triple ring although you will probably end up using just the large ring and possible the second. The small third one will be mostly redundant but useful as a get-you-home ring...

Also how different are the front wheel motor ebikes when compared to the rear wheel motor ebikes is there a great difference to the ride quality?

Thanks
Pros and cons to each. Front is easier to fit and balances the bike better if battery is mounted at the rear plus you get two wheel drive. Downside is grip on very steep hills and the need to run longish cable to front motor.

Rear is good for grip and keeps motor cable length short but places all the weight at the back of the bike. Steering may feel light because of this and you will be limited on rear gearing choice to 5/6/7 free-wheels only.

Abs_N

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for your replies so many choices :eek:

My budget would be about £500 max.

I like the look of the rftec motor, how good is this compared to the other motor?

Thanks

C

Cyclezee

Steering may feel light because of this and you will be limited on rear gearing choice to 5/6/7 free-wheels only.
Just wanted to point out NRG that eZee kits can be supplied with a 9 speed free-wheel, 11-32t. I have one on my eZee powered recumbent trike.;)

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice one! Gives more flexibility....