Trying to construct a custom cassette

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
In the process of putting the final touches to a second BBS build, this time the HD version, and to be honest all i would need with this thing is five cogs at the very most, the torque is something else. It`s a complete waste of time clicking through them all.

There`s a cheapy ETC 7 speed in there at the moment and i have a couple of spare cassettes i`ve taken apart so i`d like to have a 32 or 34T and either a 11 or 12T at both ends. Can i add the other cogs by just packing out with those spacers?

And how would all this work with a 7-speed shifter?

Anyone done this? Or better to go IGH?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have begun experimenting. I would love a wide ratio 7 speed, say 11-40 (11, 15, 19, 24, 29, 34, 40). I don't have a bench grinder otherwise I would probably have chopped a few cassettes to bits already.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Is it possible to buy individual cogs?.
As to the question of spacers, if using a 7 speed and you only want 5 gears, why not make speeds 6 and 7 the same size cog as 5, and then use the H L screw to try and restrict movement beyond gear 5.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csm40

Take it to bits and remove the 2 gears you don't need. The ramps won't be aligned so shifting might be iffy between gears where they are missing. Put a spacer behind the 34, say one of those spoke protectors, then turn the adjuster screw till it won't go beyond 5th. Report back to tell us if it works :)

I would just use a wide range cassette an grit my teeth,grin and bear it... An 8 speed 11-40 is on my shopping list.