[UK] Dad looking to buy <£1200 foldable e-bike ASAP - please help! (Fiido, Raleigh, Engwe, Woosh)

Riderx

Just Joined
May 4, 2023
Hi all,

My dad is in his 60s and wants to get back into cycling with an e-bike. He is considering a more expensive option (e.g. Tern) later down the line, but for now we want to get a cheaper (~£1000-1200) bike to see if he enjoys it. Ideally he wants to do minimal repairs/maintenance himself, possibly making the Engwe (warehouse) & Powerhog (office far away) options below less enticing. He will be mostly be doing light, commuter-style riding on road but if he could go on gravel, flat forestry etc that would be a bonus.

He is after a foldable e-bike and is currently looking at these 2 options from local stores:
1) Raleigh Stow-E-Way @ £999
2) Li-Fe Flo @ £1100 (also available here at £999 but would probably buy local for 2 free services)

I have been advised that the mag wheels + disc breaks probably edge it to the Li-Fe Flo out of these 2?

---

I am trying to help find a better option and have found the following mentioned here & on Reddit:
3) Fiido D11 @ £899
4) Powerhog Deluxe Commuter @ £825
5) Woosh Rambletta @ £1069
6) Engwe C20 Pro @ £849

I am keen to hear your perspectives on any substantial technical/safety differences between them, and which one you would personally recommend! Open to other foldable suggestions in same price range too.

Thank you, really looking forward to hearing some opinions!

R

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Welcome to the forum Riderx!

I'd say they're all credible options for the money... and they'll all be compromised in some way or another to meet their respective price points: That doesn't make any of them technically "bad" or "unsafe". Some will have better features in one area, and another bike in another.

They fall into 2 main camps style wise; low step or mid-bar. Which is your Dad's preferred style?

You say your Dad would prefer not to be "hands-on" with maintenance or repair: That would limit his options. Several of those you list are mail-order only which helps keep the prices low, but that usually requires doing your own fixing and maintenance because even though the retailer/manufacturer does most often supply parts/advice, not many local bike shops will help fixing an electric bike they didn't sell.

So if that's important, your list is already shorter. It really does depend on what features specifically are most important to your Dad... bigger battery for longer rides, wider tyres/saddle or suspension for comfort, hill climbing ability (motor/torque), mudguards/rack/lights... so many choices and hundreds of folding e-bikes in this category.

I'd look at the Rambletta because it's a complete offering (rack, mudguards, stand, good battery range, 8-speed gearing rather than 6 or 7, suspension option etc etc). Good value IMHO and Woosh have proven to stand behind their sales in terms of ongoing support. Lots of users here.

Locally, the Raleigh Stow-e-way. Until recently £1500, now £999 everywhere it seems. Battery a little smaller/costly to replace, but any Raleigh dealer inc Halfords should be able to help keep it on the road. Again a pretty complete package, it's been around a long time so a proven design, and very popular with the motorhome/caravan set.

Reactions: Woosh

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
Having looked at all of these bikes (and more), I keep coming back to the Woosh Rambletta. I particularly like the tyres which look suited to both road and forest track and also the option of ordering the larger battery. Having bought my first ebike from Woosh 10 years ago I'd be pretty confident of any continued aftersales help if I needed it.

The Engwe appeals as it appears (at least from youtube) to be more powerful than advertised although I'm a bit nervous about aftersales. I've not looked into this, and it might be fine, but UK based companies like Woosh and Wisper add that bit of comfort.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Halfords currently have a promotion on where you can get 30% off a bike if you part-exchange a old Halfords bike (up to 5 years old I think) which lasts until wednesday plus with Halfords you can use cashback sites to buy halfords giftcards and the bike itself so could get cashback twice. So its a bit of work but could get you a big discount.

A possible option is this one;

They also have the Raleigh model at £999 though.

Basically you buy a s/hand Halfords bike locally, not too old. Apollo ideally due to price. Which might cost you lets say £60.

You go through a cashback site and order the ebike using the 30% off deal code and pay for it using halfords giftcards you have bought previously while also going through a cashback site.

I think you then bring your Apollo or other Halfords bike when you collect the bike.

Its a bit complicated but could mean a serious discount on the price. However lots of terms and conditions to check so lots of places to go wrong if you are not careful.