Very interested in diy, easy e-bike upgrade and self build. (OAP)

Bing

Just Joined
Mar 7, 2017
France
An Electric bike is the absolutely perfect vehicle for seniors. 2 wheels ..
.or three for anyone balance challenged!
Having zero confidence, I bought the cheapest possible, (without the help of Jack Ma..!).
It is a very solid basic bike from Norauto, WAYSCRAL BASY 315. I got mine a few months ago,
direct from Norauto for 379 euros..I have seen the same bike, advertised at around 450? Euros since then on eBay.
It uses a heavy LEAD battery SLA 24 v. 10 ah.. The bike motor (rear hub. is 250 v. Brushless.)

I tow a sturdy, but lightweight alu. trailer, to carry the dog (she is 12kg) and a spare SLA battery 10kg.

Since I bought the bike..I have read a lot of information about *building your own ebike*..by .buying the rear motor wheel, kit...and choosing a battery that will given max power and max distance. Using bits of other bikes.

First basic project...*as soon as possible!*.....is to gain extra power, by wiring in a more powerful battery, if I can.
I think a Lucas battery, designed for a golf cart, or similar....may be best, as it is designed to operate much heavier vehicles than my bike. My PLAN at the moment ...is...to install the new SLA, deep charge battery, fixed in the tow carrier...with the dog..And if possible, wire this battery directly into the existing gears etc, already connected to the rear wheel motor.
There seems to be a large number of batteries of this kind available..and I THINK...it is best to get a 24 v...battery of perhaps.. 40 ah or more? But I don't know if a bigger ah...makes the battery huge and heavy... My current battery, fitted to the bike, weighs 9-10 kilos... And with the spare that's a hefty 20 KGS... IF its possible to increase the power of the bike...by doing so...I could fit a new SLA lead battery, removing that one which is currently fitted to the bike. (Or...maybe two smaller batteries of the same Lucas replacement, type)
If I find a way to do this...I have two other sturdy sec hand bikes to experiment with...and my ultimate dream machine...IF French cops permit...will be a three or four wheel "e-car"...with fibreglass or canvas rain hood..

. I don't need to go faster than around 20 kmph...but having sufficient power to tow a load, up hill, and keep the battery running for, say, a minimum of 60 kilometers...would be perfect...OH ! one other thing...I found a folding solar charger, for bigger batteries on Amazon...please could you tell me...would that work with an SLA battery? Its about 50 euros...so I could recharge, as I ride? Is that possible?
If anyone has any wise words about BATTERIES.. for this first project... of upgrading my cheap e-bike to gain more power and greater distance...I would be very grateful.
If It can be done..!!
My last question is...what kind of wires and connections are best? Crocodile clips? And *thin* wire? THANK YOU FOR READING MY MESSAGE!!!!!

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That bike is now 303€ with the 20% govt e-bike subvention... sorry o_O

Dump SLA and go for 36 V Li-Ion is going to be our answer. You may need to change the controller. With a trailer and a 12 kg dog you should be fine with a 36 V 13 Ah battery if it is flat in your part of France. The battery will weigh about 3 kg so you are already saving 7 kg right there!

Forget the solar charging idea.

Best wire is silicon wire with XT plugs.

Reactions: Bing
D

Deleted member 4366

24v systems normally run OK at 36v; however, there's some down-side to it:

1. The controller has a low voltage cut-off to prevent you from over-draining your batteries. That will be wrong for 36v, so you need something independent to tell you when it's time to stop, like a voltmeter.
2. Anything that you have now to show the battery state of charge won't work anymore because it's designed for 24v. If it's throttle LEDs, they'll be on all the time, even when the battery is flat.
3. The motor will run 50% faster, which means that it's not so good for towing. At low speed, it's efficiency will be lower, so it'll overheat and so will the controller.

Much better would be to buy a low-speed 36v motor, controller and battery.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
A 24volt lithium battery would be simpler. Lightweight and punchy. Mine is circa 2kg for 16 ah.

Bing

Just Joined
Mar 7, 2017
France
Magnificent.!!!..anotherkiwi.,.d8veh...and d8ve!!!! Thank you..!!!!
.I need to think about each of the solutions you have offered...clearly...my "almost done"..plan...to buy a bigger. SLA...is not well received !!! It was a bad idea!! Good thing I contacted you!!...
So I need to consider a lithium battery instead.. I can see that...if you don't buy the bike purpose built batteries...there are a lot around 100 euros...
However...there is a warning in the handbook...that says this bike *will not operate*..with a lithium. Battery...
I SUPPOSE, that means...at present it CANT operate.... with a lithium battery, because...in order to do that...it must have its operating system changed...do you think that's likely?

I believe that means...the bits of plastic, inside the metal casing of the bike...where the gears etc...are connected ...wired...to the rear motor wheel...
I think I will try to open the 'box' on the bike frame, this eve....to take a dekko INSIDE the works...to decide if its possible to fit the bits you have suggested...for a 36v Lithium battery....

It is NOT flat here...I use very easy bike lanes to the two best towns... BUT!!! DO YOU KNOW...
there are easy bike trails, right across Europe and Asia? Dodging the Gobi desert... So you can get to Japan...overland...except for a small bit of sea...

Last edited: