Vintage60 electric lowrider bikes

vintage60

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 26, 2012
New to the forum .
we build unique electric powered beach cruiser bikes. See in this months Custom Car mag and others, ie Stuff mag etc.
However we are NOT into the electrical side and need someone local ( leicestershire ) to help.
Or advise over this forum. however its difficult to grasp what being said when not into electrical bits
We need help!
We have the new programmable Magpie motors and others built into wheels.
we also have bikes which have run in the past but now need new controllers.
This might be an interesting project for someone ?
My number is 07720074968
Regards Nige

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi Nige,

Welcome to the forum. Your kit is certainly different to the normal bikes discussed on this forum, but the basic electrics appear to be the same.

If you have any electrical problems, just fire away, I am sure that the members would be willing to help.

Just checked out a you tube video: Electric Bikes by Vintage 60 - YouTube and it looks like it is fitted with a Golden Motor MagicPie motor that has the controller built into the hub: .

Just one other thing to mention, if you are running a commercial business with these bikes it might be wise to register as a trade member with this site.

p.s. I am sure we would love to see some pictures.

Last edited:

vintage60

May 26, 2012
We will be a commercial venture after the Goodwood Festival of Speed where we have a stand. this is were we will be testing the water to see if its worth going further with ( 3 weeks to go ) !
However the bikes we have built so far have been with a variety of diff motors and parts, which is were we need help and advise .
3 bikes are 350 watt powered hub motors and 1 as decided to stop working but we do not know why ????
Another as a 500 watt hub motor and as stopped , WHY ????
As you can see this is the reason we are going over to 1 brand/type of supplier
So to sum up at this point we need help !
From now on all bikes will be with the Magpie motors only.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We have had a number of members unhappy about GoldenMotor products over the years, their motors do seem to be delivered with a very high rate of faults or suffer subsequent unreliability.

Also, although it's your decision of course, it's best to be aware of the law on e-bikes and that they are limited to 250 watt motors for public road use. The DfT has very recently indicated that they have no intention of considering increasing that and we've seen two recent prosecutions, making your proposed products vulnerable at 350 or 500 watts.

That said, we will be happy to help, but I agree with Shemozzle that Endless Sphere are the best source of combined knowledge on this type of motor, our expertise more with the internally geared or crank drive type motors.

Last edited:

vintage60

May 26, 2012
Yes its the internally geared motor speed controllers we are in diff with .
I have bought new speed controllers but when they arrive are , to me , just a bunch of wires sticking out of a box. It sounds daft i know but i have no idea what to do next !!!
i think i am confusing everyone with the Magic pie motors which are still at southampton docks !!!

vintage60

May 26, 2012
we know the 350 / 500 powered ones are not road legal but i doubt these bikes will ever see the road in this country.