Warm weather influence

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Probably like most forum readers, I've maximised my cycling opportunities this last couple of weeks while the weather has been so agreeable. I know it's been mentioned many times before but I'm finding the difference in MPG, (you know what I mean!) compared to winter weather quite astonishing.

Over some really undulating Hertfordshire terrain recently, I had recourse to the higher power setting (of two) on my bike on several occasions. At the time, I thought I was pushing it a bit and expected to see the battery indicator down to one light at the end of my rides. On each occasion, I was still showing four lights which I found simply incredible. The time taken to recharge verified that the battery hadn't lost a great deal of energy.

Having given some thought as to why the difference should be so marked, I think it's the result of two factors:

1) The Panasonic system is pretty efficient in pedelec mode and batteries, per se, work better in warm conditions.

2) My technique in regard to gearchanging has improved and the bike rarely feels like it's labouring at any time ergo the battery remains fairly unstressed.

There may be other factors, (I'm possibly a little fitter) but I think the two I mention probably feature highest.

Is everyone enjoying a similar experience this month?

Indalo

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Like you I've been taking full advantage of the fine weather we've had this month. Previously I had been thinking my nearly 2 year old, lightly used battery was on the way out.

Pleasingly Ive also noticed a marked increase in battery range and as I don't think my riding style has changed the increase in temperature definitely has a significant effect on the range.
Was almost thinking of canceling my new 18ah battery on order or at least postponing it for a while. :)

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Yes. Although there are so many factors to consider. I've been keeping a log of all my stats since I started commuting last July so I will give you a better answer this time next year! ..
Every ride this month was a pb based on the weather conditions. I achieved my overall best pb last week with an average of 19.3 mph. I know its not all about the speed but for me its one of the things that drive me on.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have exactly the same experience as you, Kenny. My Tasman is 18 months old and I was toying with an 18ah battery.

But the 27 - 35 miles I got when new dropped considerably tthis winter. Now it's back.

I wonder how long it will go on like this? It would be nice to have the battery last 3 years and still have 22-27 miles available but maybe that would be too much to ask.

Incidentally, the steepest hill on my way into town is from Raynes Park to Wimbledon common and it is pretty steep. I realised today that I climb the whole thing in top (8th) gear, dropping to about 9.5mph on the steepest section.

Pedelecing doesn't seem to have dropped my fitness level at all.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
batteries, per se, work better in warm conditions.
The other factors you list probably have some effect on the performance, but batteries are key.

On my Wisper, during the cold winter (December, January), I thought I had a battery problem when my range dropped to about 14 miles, from a high point of 24 miles last August. (Riding techniques, rider weight, and rider disability contribute to those lower than normal figures).

And now the sun is shining, back goes my range to the low 20s. (Maybe your muscles also work more efficiently when they haven't got to try and keep your body warm as well).

A