Warped slick tyres....from new

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
Just thought I would start another tyre thread! :p

Months ago I bought a pair of Michelin City tyres for commuting, fitted one straight away, no probs.... but the other was fitted months after the purchase.

The second tyre was totally out of shape (radially), I only noticed this at the time of fitting, so had no come back with the supplier. On the wheel is was all over the place, obvious with the way the reflective strip waved about on the side wall.

I bought another slick tyre as a replacement, Decathlon, Vittoria brand. On fitting this tyre I noticed it too is warped. Will be taking the latter one back for a refund!

Has anyone noticed this with slick tyres?

BTW (I running Weinmann rims front and rear, both wheels are true)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I wouldn't use the reflective strips as an indication of any abnormalities in the tyre.
They are there solely for you to be seen more clearly and probably aren't attached to the tyre in an accurate way. They don't need to be!!
I run Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on both wheels and the reflective strips wave about like you mention, but there's nothing wrong with either tyre ;)

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Tyres often dont sit quite perfectly on a rim. Its nothing to worry about, they are not faulty.

clv101

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2010
Bristol
The second tyre was totally out of shape (radially), I only noticed this at the time of fitting, so had no come back with the supplier. On the wheel is was all over the place, obvious with the way the reflective strip waved about on the side wall.

I bought another slick tyre as a replacement, Decathlon, Vittoria brand. On fitting this tyre I noticed it too is warped. Will be taking the latter one back for a refund!

Has anyone noticed this with slick tyres?
Are you sure it's warped? How high did you pump it? I often find I need to put A LOT of air into new slick tyres to get them to sit on the rim right. Also use soapy water or chalk on the rim to help it slide.

For example, I am using the Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick MTB Tyre at the moment, it says max pressure of 95 psi however it needed about 130psi before it found the rim perfectly. Only takes a few seconds, then release the pressure back down to ~90psi.

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks, but just to clarify.

I'm not using the reflective strip as a gauge or measure of radial symmetry. It is skewed even on the good tyres. On the Michelin tyre the reflective strip started to show a hairline split into the tyre wall (so much for being painted on). Besides, it seems that most slicks have the strip, personally I hate the things, ruins the look of the bike, just like all the naff american cars with white wall tyres OMG :eek:

Most bike tyres are 65psi, anything more and your eyeballs shake out of their sockets

The tyres are definitely defective, not only do they deviate radially, but also from the plane of the rim/wheel. I'm not talking (mm) here, massive warpage, so much so that it fouls on the full length mud guards.

And yes, I know it takes 30-50miles before the tyre beds in, no difference. Even tried to manipulate the tyre with force and some heat.

Been fitting tyres for years, never seen the likes of this..............I appreciate that they werent the top end spec, but deffo duff tyres out there (or at least batches of them)
Dont say you havent been warned.:)

Last edited:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Most bike tyres are 65psi, anything more and your eyeballs shake out of their sockets
23c tyred racing bikes tend to run between 120 and 130psi, yes, it is uncomfortable, but fast, and the pressure need to be well over 100psi just to stop pinch flats on such thin tyres.

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
23c tyred racing bikes tend to run between 120 and 130psi, yes, it is uncomfortable, but fast, and the pressure need to be well over 100psi just to stop pinch flats on such thin tyres.
Thanks, yes I know, I should have stated MTB wheels turned into hybri, max 65psi

Not too many ebikes running on skinny tyres?