Wayel e-bikes

bjohn

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 10, 2011
Just wondering has anyone here experience or knowledge of the Italian e-bike name of Wayel. It's shaft drive
Their web site is rubbish, images no specs not but they are a good looking bike.
I'm new around here and investigating all my options as I intend to buy soonish

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just wondering has anyone here experience or knowledge of the Italian e-bike name of Wayel. It's shaft drive
Their web site is rubbish, images no specs not but they are a good looking bike.
I'm new around here and investigating all my options as I intend to buy soonish
I don't know the bicycle make, but this shaft drive was on the UK market for some while from the now defunct Zero Cycle company in Birmingham (nothing to do with Zero electric motorcycles).

The shaft drive works quite well and is designed only for the Shimano Nexus 3 or 7 speed hubs, so rather old tech now. The rear bevel gears are not encased, just shielded, and taking out the wheel exposes them, one on the shaft, one on the hub. As you might expect it's not as efficient as chain and sprockets, but any inefficiency is barely noticed and won't matter on an e-bike. I believe the original manufacturer of the shaft drive is Taiwanese.

Otherwise these look like fairly standard e-bikes with an SB style front motor so should be ok, but much depends on the controller and battery quality and setup.

bjohn

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 10, 2011
Thanks flecc for the prompt reply also the heads up much appreciated