We want a kit

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's a shame, it looked superb but if people can't put it on their own bikes...rather as with Cytronex, their gear (especially the battery) looks great but when it adds £1K to the cost of the donor bike it puts it out of the range of most.
I think it will have to be a style decision by such as Sparta or Giant, style conscious firms who can sell at high prices. Sparta in particular are probably too well suited by their own superb designs to be interested, and Giant's current policy is to retain design as much in-house as possible now.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I got a full kit from BMS Battery to try out eBikes due to a breathing difficulty, whole shebang cost around £280 inc shipping (though I think I was a bit lucky on the Customs duty, which should have added about £50 as far as I can see). Cute 100 250W motor, 10ah Li-ion battery, thumb throttle, charger and controller.
Thanks. Can you just confirm that this was a front wheel kit? Perhaps include the link? What bike did you fit it on? Ony issue was front fork which you solved by filing. (Think I need to create a list or spreadsheet or something so we can see who has done what) ... The idea being it will give others confidence if they can see someone else has done the same or something similar ...see the price of kits, etc ...

rh1968

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2010
Thanks. Can you just confirm that this was a front wheel kit? Perhaps include the link? What bike did you fit it on? Ony issue was front fork which you solved by filing. (Think I need to create a list or spreadsheet or something so we can see who has done what) ... The idea being it will give others confidence if they can see someone else has done the same or something similar ...see the price of kits, etc ...

Yes, front hub motor, supplied with wheel (surprisingly good quality) - LiFePO4, EV Charger, EBike Battery, EBike Kit, Motor, Controller, Battery Case - BMSBATTERY, fitted to my custom road race bike - Cinelli steel frame, Shimano Dura Ace brakes and hubs, Campag Record chainset.

Mr A

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2008
Got 70 miles under my belt now and using the high pedal assit mode most of time i'm getting a 30 mile range before i need to re-charge my battey. very please with the range.

Abs_N

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2009
E-bike Kits

Mr A, that sounds great.

I think that there should be a section on the forum which pools all the details of the ebike kits avaialable out there (or do we have one already?), this list would also show the forum members who have had the relevant kits and links to their threads if they have one.
There is a lot of choices out there and it would really help to see what which users have what and how they are doing with their new kit.

I am still deciding on which kit to go for.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Mr A, that sounds great.

I think that there should be a section on the forum which pools all the details of the ebike kits avaialable out there (or do we have one already?), this list would also show the forum members who have had the relevant kits and links to their threads if they have one.
There is a lot of choices out there and it would really help to see what which users have what and how they are doing with their new kit.

I'll send a PM to the administator (rsscott) and see what can be done. Failing that then perhaps google docs would be a good way to go but we then loose a bit of control unless rsscott could own it and be responsible for it? ... If anyone has any other ideas then please shout!

Abs_N

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2009
I think a summary spreadsheet with links would be great you could easily see at a glance who has what kit and then drill down to see the details, i'll mock up a sample soon . . .

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Mr A, that sounds great.

Do you have the bike? Or a bike in mind? And a rough idea of budget?

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I am trying to find a kit that will work on my scott p2, although I am not having much success.

The bike has front and rear hydrolic discs brakes which seem to complicate matters, unless anyone has or done this type of conversion ..

I saw scott now do a e-bike which is crank driven ( i can't remember the model) .

Recommendations would be appriciated.

Rich
If you go for a hub motor then it has to support disc brakes. For example I have a Tongxin front hub on my CX700 and it does not support disc brakes. I'm thinking/expecting the new Tongxin motors from Cytronex to support disc brakes but this remains to be seen! ..

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Thanks for the welcome, replies and advise. I have a budget of around £500 .. so it looks like ezee kit is a tad to much for me at this time unless you know better?. I don't mind buying the seperate parts and building from scratch if I knew what to buy etc. It seems to be a bit of a mine field and very expensive.

I am an electronic engineer by trade so am well up for getting involved with it all.

I travel 7 miles each way to work with mild hills and sometime do 10-12 miles at lunch time so a max of 26 miles.

The story is I cycle to work with a work mate but since hes disabled he's gone and purchased a leccy bike off evil bay and now I have to peddle like mad to keep up and its killing me.

Rich
I'm doing 15 miles each way using a 180 watt front wheel hub and I have some medium/serious hills. So, I would advise a front hub with disk brake support! .. Nothing more powerfull that 250 watt!